Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pat1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 07:12 AM
    1st year under L1 visa - Foreign Income - resident or not resident
    Hi,
    I am in Miami and have a L1A VISA since May 2006 and getting a US-based salary since then.

Am I considered non-resident alien or resident alien ?

I received both foreign-based salary and US-based salary during all 2006.
    What do I write in line #21 description ? "Foreign income" ?
    Besides indicating in line #21 of form 1040 the amount of foreign-based salary are there other documents that need to be filed together with form 1040 regarding the foreign-based salary ?

A colleague of mine has L1A VISA but started from February 2006.
    He did not get a salary from the foreign company during all year 2006; only US-based salary.
    Does he have to indicate the amount of zero in the line #21 on the 1040 form for the foreign-based salary or just disregard it and leave it empty ?

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Redundant post; already answered!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Foreign income+ non-resident -> resident filing [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian National and I have been in US on F1 since Aug 2001. My F1 expired on June 2006 and I was on OPT till my H1 began in Oct 2006. I had filed 1040NR for the past five years but read that after 5 years, I should start filing as a resident. I also read a contradictory statement...

Resident Alien - Foreign Tax Credit [ 2 Answers ]

Query 1 :- I came to US (first time) on 2nd April 2006 on L1 with my wife. I am in US since then. I believe my status will be resident alien. For Jan to March 2006, I have Indian Income (Salary) & Indian tax deducted on the same. How should I mention the deducted Indian tax while filing federal...

Are foreign students naturally non-resident aliens? [ 7 Answers ]

I read up a few other questions/answers, but decided to open a new thread instead... Like many others, I'm really confused with my alient status! I originally thought I was a non-resident alien (since I'm still a student), but I am using CINTAX software, and it tells me I qualify for SPT and...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

View more questions Search