Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momar61 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2005, 11:21 AM
    removing 2 mirrowed walls
    I have 2 walls that are mirrowed and I want to remove the mirrows. 1 is 12x12 squars and I think that will be fairly easy. The other is 4 or 5ft wide floor to ceiling pannels. Does any one have any ideas on how to remove the panels with out injury to me or the wall behind the panels? Thanks :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Depending how the tiles were fastened on, there may not be a good way of getting them off. If you don't have them, go out and buy a pair of goggles, a putty knife, and a razor knife, the real thing, not a box cutter.

Put the goggles on. Try the putty knife first. If the tiles were put on with a little double sided tape, you may simply be able pry they off, work the putty knife under a little ways and slowly pry a tile away. If that doesn't work, try your hair dryer. Maybe not full blast at first, giving the thick glass time to heat through. It may soften the glue enough to again pry the tile off.

If that doesn't work, get some dry ice, and hold it against a tile. This may cool the adhesive to where it loses its adhesion and the tile pops off. That is the last of what I can think of for getting it loose from the wall. Even if it does come loose, it may leave a mess of lumpy adhesive that will bleed through any paint.

Rethink the project. Drywall is cheap and taping seams isn't that bad. Could you glue new drywall over the mirrors? Could you decide to keep the mirrors?

If nothing else works, start at one edge with the razor knife and cut through the drywall, top and bottom as well as the side. Once started, a saw may go better than the knife. Then push in next to the cut edge, opening up a crack between the first and second columns of tile. Cut through the wall board there. Then work the tile back and forth until the nail or screw heads pull through the wall board. Set the piece aside and move on to the next joint and repeat.

This may not work on the 4' wide ones. Try scoring them with a glass cutter beyond the next stud, and snapping them by pushing the edge in. Big mess, but nobody else seems to have much of an idea. A pair of leather grooves may be a good idea too. This should at least protect you. I do not know if the job can be done and save the wall board.

Feb 19, 2005, 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the advice. There is a product that is a veryy good adhesive remover that I was going to try.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2005, 06:05 PM
    You could try it. Most of the materials that will cut the adhesives used to set tiles are toxic, flammable, or both. Read the directions! It it says good ventilation, it means the windows open. It will not penetrate the glass, and will have work in form the edge. Even if it is a little slow, it may still be better than tearing drywall and all off. Wear the goggles with it too.

May 11, 2005, 04:52 AM
    Mirrowed walls
    I have decided to keep one of the walls mirrowed. 2 of the bevel panels have slid down so a professional is going to take care of them. The mirrows in the other room were 12 inch squares that turned out to be held in place with double-sided tape. They came down is about 45 minutes using a hack saw blade lilke a slim jim. The tape residue came off with a mild non toxic adhesive remover.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2005, 06:51 AM
    You tear into something, no telling what you will find. Once in a while, it turns out to be much easier than expected. Great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

Video Walls [ 8 Answers ]

I've been tasked with a project. Basically I need to arrange 4 19" TFT to make one large display and have a smaller display to work off. I can get my head around the large display but can't work out how to have a separate smaller display that shows what is displayed on the large one. Any...

Tearing down 2 walls [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to remove 2 walls to open it up. We have a truss roof and want to know if we can remove both walls. One wall is part of the wall that runs through the middle of the house between the kitchen and living room, there are support beams in basement under this...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

Shear walls [ 1 Answers ]

my engineer wants me to nail my shear at 2" oc. Doesn't that tear up the 2x4 and plywood??

View more questions Search