Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    just stupid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2014, 12:11 AM
    Man not divorcing wife of 7 year separation
    I have been dating a guy for 2 1/2 years, found out last October a year ago he has never divorced. He lives in a different state and has been separated since 2006. She is demanding a large amount of money each month. So they are not divorced. He talks of a future with me all the time. There is no future for us if he will not divorce. We are not living together. I have talked of breaking up if nothing happens. He is always saying he is working on it. Frustrated!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 4, 2014, 12:23 AM
    What is your question?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 07:33 AM
    After knowing this man for 2 1/2 years, my opinion would be he is not interested in a serious, long term relationship, let alone a marriage.

I have known many people who have lived apart for many years, as your boyfriend has, from their spouses. The final step is actually getting divorced, and severing the only remaining tie that binds them.

Sometimes I think it is a bit of a security blanket. It keeps some tie to the relationship/marriage, but also keeps them (because they are still married) from really moving on, doing what needs to be done, in order to marry again.

After 8 years of being 'single' he should have long ago put the period at the end of his marriage. Yet, he hangs on to it.

My advice to you would be to tell him that you will give him six months to finally end his marriage. If he can't bring himself to do that, then you are not prepared to be stuck in limbo while he remains stuck in the past, and not willing to have a future with you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 09:04 AM
    It's a big red flag when couples have not handled their business properly. You are right, no future here for you. How long have you known about this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 09:28 AM
    If they are married and not divorced, so what if she "demands" a large amount of money each month ( actually sounds like a lie ) there is no reason he would be paying her anything, if they just separated.

Not sure how much money he has, but so he divorces, or is the money each month "child support for kids ?"

Anyway, he has no plans to divorce, so you can move in and be a mistress. Or I assume just be a booty call for now, and let him send all his money to his wife,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Divorcing a tunisian man [ 2 Answers ]

My tunisian husband and I want to divorce as I no longer love him . I married in tunisia I was told that if I want to divorce him I have to return to tunisia is this correct ?

Married man cheated on wife, with me, divorcing wife but has stopped communcating? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had been doing well, but he suddenly left town.. said the pressure was too much. He left and was gone for 15 days to be found in Cali. He came home found me and told me he was in a bar in Cali and something told him to come home to me. And he did. After hours of talking he...

Divorcing after long separation when one party is not in agreement [ 2 Answers ]

How can I go about a divorce after a 20 year separation when the other party is not in agreement?

Just Been Dumped by a Divorcing Man-I guess I was the Rebound [ 2 Answers ]

I was a fool! I dated a man going through a divorce and he was always in this constant state of confusion. I fell in love with this man. I did my very best to make sure that I wasn't the rebound as he told me that he and his stbx had been separated for 2 years. I entered the relationship fell...

Divorcing a Military man [ 2 Answers ]

OKay guys... I need some help. My husband is stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC and I am here in Ohio. We are not getting along at all. I told him he needed to let me know what he wanted (why I still don't know) to do, and if he wanted to be with me or not. I know I shouldn't have... but I did! He won't...

View more questions Search