Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshroche56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 07:32 PM
    Why can't I do a va loan on a condo with no hoa fee
    I have been searching for a house for a long time and for what I can afford + the size of a home I need there is next to nothing on the market.

I found a Condo that is a perfect match. This is a 4 unit condo each unit is detached. There was originally a HOA fee of $50 some ware along it got dropped.

My realistate agent is trying to find a way to reinstate the HOA. I don't fully understand it my agent says the HOA has something like a certification or something that qualifies it for VA or FHA. So even if we are able to reinstate a HOA we need to get that cert as well.

On top of that the owners of the condo are going into foreclosure they haven’t made a payment in about a year.

I would happily assume the loan. My issue with assumption is being approved by the current lender. If I was to assume the loan that would put my debt to income ratio at 50% and I don’t think the bank will accept my application like that.

Any suggestions? Or could you help me understand why I couldn't just hire a VA appraiser and make an offer?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 07:43 PM
    The underwriters (people who approve) for the VA and FHA loans will not approve a loan for a condo unless is complies with certain regulations. One of those regulations is a certified condo association. If the condo association isn't certified and can't provide that certificate, the VA and FHA underwriters will not approve the loan.

As for assuming the loan, do you realize how high a 50% debt to income ratio is? That number is based on your "pre-tax" income. You will actually have very little money left after making your mortgage payment each month.

If your real estate agent can't get the condo approved for a VA or FHA loan then I suggest that you find another place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a free standing condo with no HOA [ 8 Answers ]

I am in escrow on a freestanding condo that has CC&R's but no hoa setup. There are no dues as the HOA has been completely inactive since houses were built in 2008. Lenders are having trouble with these kinds of properties because the way they were filed butdid not have follow through. What are the...

HOA Condo - access to utility rooms. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a Condo Community of 4 buildings, each with 32 units. Originally our outside utility rooms were left unlocked but during a spate of security concerns the Association decided to place keyed deadbolt locks on all the doors. The original plan was to make the locks compatible to our common...

California condo law can the president of the hoa get paid [ 1 Answers ]

Can the elected president get paid out of hoa dues to preform duties in CAlifornia Thank mike

HOA question for condo complex with no HOA setup [ 6 Answers ]

I own a condo in a 4 unit condo complex. The front 4 units are exactly the same. We have two sets of CC&R's in place. The CC&R's reference an HOA name for each complex but states that it is not active. It states that the homeowners are responsible for their own maintenance on their home and the...

View more questions Search