Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbaddorf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 07:11 PM
    Can I be forced to move also
    I'm living with someone as a room mate, but don't pay rent because that wasn't the agreement. I do have cable/interent in my name here and receive mail. The
    Agreement we had was that he would going to put me on his lease and when it was up at the end of the month he would renew it with me on it and I would take over the rent payments at that point. Well he didn't inform the property manager of this and now they are saying that once his lease is up he has to move. What are my rights as the room mate, even though I never signed the lease. I do not want to move, I have a 8yr old with me and we are trying to get back on track. What can happen if I don't leave at the end of the month?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Unfortunately you don't have any rights beyond those of a month-to-month tenant. If you don't move out when the lease is up the landlord can give you a notice to vacate and if you still don't move then the landlord can file a lawsuit for eviction.

Have you tried speaking to the landlord about having a new lease prepared in your name?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2014, 07:58 PM
    Your rights as a roommate are the same rights as a tenant with a landlord. However, he is your landlord and if he is no longer the lease, then your rights to the unit end.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 10:59 PM
    I am sure the landlord will allow you to get a lease of your own, and you pay the rent.

You don't expect to live there without paying, after the roommate moves?

Feb 4, 2014, 05:49 AM
    I'm not as sure as Chuck. It is certainly a possibility that the landlord will extend a lease to you. A ready made tenant with no gap is nothing to ignore. But I don't know what their requirements are or whether you will meet them. They will want to do a credit and background check etc.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2014, 06:03 AM
    As everyone else said... why would you think you would continue to get a free ride through life. The property owner doesn't care about any agreements you had with this other person... because those all end when their lease with the landlord ends. Technically you were a subtenant and those are always subject to and subordinate to the terms of the original lease.

Sure the landlord might let you stay... but only if you sign a lease and pay full market rate for the rent... the free ride is over.

So what can you do... you call one of your local women's shelters, impose on some friends... mooch off family. You need to start looking into any of those options immediately.

Feb 4, 2014, 06:11 AM
    Whoa, The OP said "I would take over the rent payments at that point". She is not looking for a free ride. The problem here is solely that the roommate and lessee did not renew the lease so the landlord has terminated it giving him until the end of the month to vacate. So she can try to negotiate a new lease with the property management. And since they are telling him to move, they may have already rented the unit since he didn't renew.

So she needs to talk to the property manager, explain the situation. If they haven't rented it, they may decide to give her a lease if she qualifies. If they decline to do so, then she has to vacate with the roommate or face eviction.

She has no rights to stay in that apartment unless she signs a new lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of lease forced move [ 9 Answers ]

My cousin lives in ga in a town home. She has a dog which is not on the lease (breach of lease). Her fiancé has decided to cheat on her and kicked her out by stating she has the dog, which caused er to have a breach of lease. Now he gave her 10 days to get her stuff out and changed the locks so...

Im a dependent being forced to move. What are my rights? [ 17 Answers ]

I'm a full time student living with an older man (in Las Vegas, NV) who has provided all of my support for nearly year. I recently found out he had a spy camera above my bed, so of course I have to move. Because I found the spy camera he is trying to force me to move. Without a real notice. He had...

Can my 2 yr. Old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of...

Forced to Move [ 4 Answers ]

My family and I are renting a home, we have only been in the house since the beginning of June. Put down a security deposit along with 1st months rent. Now, we find out that the house is being foreclosed. We have been told to vacate the property. We have asked the landlord for the security...

View more questions Search