Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2014, 12:04 PM
    Can you see any bent or missing pins in the CRT monitors plug end? There should be 15 I think for a VGA analog connection. Do you have a friend who can bring a laptop or PC over to test it on another PC with a VGA connector? Perhaps the CRT monitor is only able to produce a specific resolution, try looking up the monitors specifications on the manufacturers site. If the company doesn't exist anymore try putting the make and model in your search along with "specifications". There are sites out there that keep that info after a company is no longer. Did you look through the bios? Sometimes with on-board video they put stuff in there.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 12:09 PM
    Bear with me. How many pins does the cable have on both sides?
    qaz112 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2014, 12:55 PM
    Pins look OK, unfortunately I wouldn't know what to look for in the bios. Works OK in safe mode

talaniman do you really want to now number of pins or just if they are bent?

its a very good monitor so can do high resolution ,,,if no luck soon i will indeed carry the damn thing to another pc
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 6, 2014, 08:00 PM
    On the typical CRT type monitor there are only pins on the connector to the PC and the cord disappears into the back of the monitor case.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2014, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    On the typical CRT type monitor there are only pins on the connector to the PC and the cord disappears into the back of the monitor case.
    Actually not true....while most were built that way....a lot actually did have detachable cords, Sony was one of those I saw a lot on various models of. On the LCD types today..most have detachable cords. Many also have the analog as well as digital inputs. VGA is an analog interface.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 08:43 PM
    That's why I ask how many pins in the monitor plugin, and how many pin receptacles in the tower connection. Its highly like that these connection are not compatible as far as sending and receiving even though they fit.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2484291#

Do your monitor cable look like these?

Trying to figure out if your problem is in the compatibility of the connection, or if you have a configuration problem you can workout thru your programming. A picture could sure clarify thing as most monitor plugs have screw in blue to blue connections and 14, or 15 tiny plugs pins. So does the monitor have that many, or does the tower?

Feb 7, 2014, 02:15 AM
    It has this: " screw in blue to blue connections and 14, or 15 tiny plugs pins.", and they are not bent and they/plugs connect to each other perfectly

Its works OK in safe mode and it also works OK with another PC in normal mode

now that i know u understand this do u still need to know the actual number of pins?
    Thanks
    Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Yes, because in theory you should be able to change configurations of the monitor in the normal mode from control panel/display from your PC. That's why the cable is important because it may have to be jury rigged to allow your analog monitor to be detected in normal mode and give you many more options than you have in safe mode.

Its like putting a 1960 carburetor, on a brand new Chevy. It cannot be done that simply without many modifications. Even if the "bolts line up the ports do not. They may not even make such a cable that you need.

Your monitor is receiving no input from your PC in normal mode.

Feb 7, 2014, 01:27 PM
    OK... 14 pins with one pin missing in 2nd row

In normal mode I do see "windows starting" so there is some inpuit

Thanks
    Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 03:13 PM
    VGA Resolution Identification and Windows | devtrends.com

The “optional” Sense pin, pin 9, is used by the graphics card to send +5V DC to the connected device, which plays a significant part in allowing the computer to determine resolution capabilities. This pin is crucial to monitor identification features of the VGA DDC2 standard – it is likely that without this power to the monitor, the graphics card / computer has no idea what type of monitor is plugged in
    I believe that you can bridge this problem with an adapter. 15 pin to USB

How to Connect a USB Port to a Serial Port on a Computer | eHow

Feb 7, 2014, 03:37 PM
    Well... interesting but are u sure that's appropriate to mine. The monitor that came with the PC has the same blue plug [not usb connection]

Thanks
    Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 04:13 PM
    The monitor that came with the PC is already matched and compatible. You are trying to use a monitor that is not. That's what the other guys were trying to tell you.

Peruse these adapters to give you an idea connecting different components to each other.

Amazon.com: Plugable Active HDMI to VGA 6ft (1.9m) Converter Cable Supporting up to 1920 x 1080 (60Hz): Electronics

Feb 8, 2014, 03:07 AM
    I know that.
    But the comment is "I believe that you can bridge this problem with an adapter 15 pin to USB" I don't think usb involved in this problem, both connections/sockets are multi pin/hole and blue [serial port]

the original thin monitor also uses this serial port

What am I not understanding please
    Expert

Feb 8, 2014, 05:37 AM
    Different technology

Feb 8, 2014, 06:44 AM
    What, I'm not understanding "different technology", don't know what you mean by that.

If you look at my last post ull see what I am questioning. or to put another way, getting that cable suggests i connect monitor via usb , why would i want to do that, have u made a mistake with the link to the cable?

Thanks.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2014, 07:22 AM
    It may get you the control you need to adapt your monitor and make it useful for your purposes since obviously you have not solved the problem. Another way of looking at this is doing your own research by Googling and it may shed some technical understanding of the suggestions you have gotten so far that lead to a solution.

Without getting technical, attaching the USB connection may give you the input to your monitor you currently lack. Try it, as we can go no further until you do.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:45 AM
    OK I will try to borrow an adapter and try, I had no idea you could run it through usb

Also, the graphic artist who gave it to me said that it has a better image using some other sort of connection [i forget] , any idea what that could be, as I would change to that anyway if I can get it working in the first place

Thanks 4 your assistance

Feb 12, 2014, 11:41 AM
    talaniman, all the way through this issue here it has been a bit like a visit to the doctors surgery in that you get a recommended coarse of action but u are not allowed to know the reason behind the advice or ask why.

Thanks for your time folks, I'm not going to spend any more of mine trying to understand your reasoning , I'm obviously not privileged
    Expert

Feb 12, 2014, 12:10 PM
    Sorry guy you have not been able to get what you wanted. It is difficult to convey years of learning through experimenting and researching and learning the fundamentals, I and others have tried to convey to you. I would have hoped through leading you through a logical process you would have gained more from it.

I can only suggest you reread this thread especially the links provided and trace your steps again. If you tried adapter cables and they didn't work, please say so.

Feb 12, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Correction, I should have said "part of the way through this issue" not "all the way"

Any way I have taken my last question [in number 37] elsewhere as it too does not seem to warrant an answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acer Aspire Battery [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop. Every so often I notice the blue battery status light turns amber although it's continuously plugged in. When I check the charge level in the system tray I see that it's around 97% charged. It continues to charge until fully charged and the amber light returns to...

Acer aspire 1413 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all Can someone please help. I am trying to recoverer my acer aspire 1413 however when I put in the second recovery disk I get a message that states (cannot open image file X:\images\60ea1012.ghs. I suspect my disc is faulty. Please help Paulw1200

Acer aspire one. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks,first,happy new year to you all!! OK,just got an acer aspire one,what a nightmare! It came with mcafee security,so I got rid of that and installed avast,then the problems came,the thing will not work at all,I've got all my icons on desktop but nothing works,I deleated avast but its...

View more questions Search