Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c22t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2014, 10:35 PM
    Passport Hard drive
    My passport hard drive has worked for years. Now when I plug it in, I get the tone that it connected and can feel the hard drive working and the light is on. I cannot find it in the list of items connected to the computer, but it does show up in device manager - and it says that the disk is not initialized.

Is there a way that I can fix this without losing the data?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 10:22 AM
    I am waiting to hear the answer myself. I have the same issue. I took mine to two computer shops and they said there was nothing they could do for me.

I have mine sitting in the drawer, with all of my photos, files and "life" .
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 12:18 PM
    It seems odd to me. I know people who have had hard drive failures and taken their systems to computer shops where the shop will mirror the drive onto another drive. I would think if they could do such a thing with an internal hard drive, they should be able to do it with an external one as well. I would call around, you may have just found someone that doesn't have the ability.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 2, 2014, 09:53 PM
    Since you can see it in Disk Management, try a recovery program like EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. The Free Edition has limitations but the Pro version (which isn't free) does not. I recently used the Pro version I downloaded to recover a "D" drive that went belly up for no reason. But it took for ever to recover the 250gig drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

What difficulties are there in changing from a 80MB hard drive to a 500 MB hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HP Pavilion 700 series that had some hard drive issues lately. It came with an 80 MB drive but I have recently replaced it with a 500 MB hard drive. I will need to reinstall the operating system with a recovery disk. Should I expect any more difficulties in getting my PC up and running...

WD Passport Essential External Hard Drive Software [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a Western Digital - My Passport Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Model: WDBAAA5000ABK-NESN. I comes pre-loaded with their backup software, but I want to format the drive and just use it for file storage. I just read a user review that says you can't delete their...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search