Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 10:26 PM
    DL transfer rate too low
    My internet for downloading the transfer rate when from some hight number (forget what that was lol) but now, when I download something the net the transfer rate is like 6-9kb whch really sux the big one because DL's take for ever.
    What can I do to get the transfer rate up, I am on adsl.
    Don't matter where from or what I dl, its all the same.

Thanks for any help :)
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 16, 2005, 10:42 PM
    What speed ADSL have you got?

You're right, those speeds are pretty low for an ADSL connection, I'd just like to know how big the gap is...

Feb 16, 2005, 10:48 PM
    I think it's 512 but I'm not sure of how to check the speeds

Feb 17, 2005, 12:21 AM
    Hmm... okay, try the bandwidth test at http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...-7254_7-0.html

Feb 17, 2005, 10:05 AM
    OK I tried that bandwidth thing and it says I'm running at 825.9 kbpsIf that's my DL speed then IDK why I's currently low
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Howdy:

Khalvynnov - these wouldn't happen to be BitTorrent sites or files you are downloading from are they?

If so, don't count on your speed getting any better as BitTorrents are notorious for low bandwidth and slow downloads!

Also, check with your ISP.. Many of them have monthly bandwidth limits.. Once you start getting close, your speed will drop considerably!

Murray

Feb 17, 2005, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SESaskDFC
    If so, don't count on your speed getting any better as BitTorrents are notorious for low bandwidth and slow downloads !!
    Erm... if there are enough seeders, it is not uncommon for a torrent download to max out my ADSL's downstream bandwidth. BitTorrent is incredible, and does what it is supposed to do (allow publishing of work from those without expensive high-bandwidth servers) extremely well.

Khalvynnov, that's very odd. Are you using a download manager or anything of that sort that could be causing problems?

Feb 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
    Yeah there was a few things that I DL'd from Bit Torrent, its funny though that they do that or odd lol

I have noticed they are not the only place I get that happening though. Offhand I can't remember where or what I wwas dl'n

As for a download manager, I don't use one, they just confuse me. Just no patience when it come to things like that :(

I'll have to check with my ISP see if they have limits... but I'm pretty sure they don't

Why is that bit Torrent make thing to be slow?

Feb 18, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalvynnov
    Why is that bit Torrent make thing to be slow?
    BitTorrent is not slow. It has the potential to max your connection.

However, your bittorrent downloads might be slow if:
    1) There are not enough seeders sending data to you (this happens a lot)
    2) The tracker is broken.
    3) Your firewall is not allowing incoming connections to your torrent server. This will slow you down, as your box has to initiate all the connections, so it will take longer for you to establish links with other peers.

Here, let's get a real test of your download speed.
    Download http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v...2.6.10.tar.bz2

~psi42
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 18, 2005, 07:08 AM
    psi42:

I've never had any luck with a BitTorrent download.. always slow as molasses on a cold Saskatchewan winter day (that's SLOW!! )..

I got some info from the following site..

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=493

" BitTorrent works on a credit system. By uploading parts of a file other people, they allow you to download parts of the file from them. This is BitTorrent’s anti-leech measure. However, if you have a problem with your NAT (anything between you and the internet, such as a router or firewall), you will not get credit for what you are uploading. The only downloading that you can do is from people who upload a small amount to you in the hope that you will return the favor. Since their client will not recognize your response if you have a firewall problem, then they will stop uploading to you shortly after. This is what is causing your problem. You may also notice that torrent speeds go very high for 5 minutes, before slowing back down to 0-5kb/s."

Guess you do a fair amount of sharing! :D

Murray

Feb 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    Here, let's get a real test of your download speed.
    Download http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v...2.6.10.tar.bz2

~psi42
    I DL'd that link and now my connection is for that DL 156kb I guess that's better lol, but what do I know... I'm just a computer dummy :P
    phenom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
    I'm also have the same problem... with transfer rate...

My net speed is 1mbps.. but when I'm downloading something frm net.. my transfer rate was 10kb or 11kb.. can anyone help,,
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:05 AM
    I've answered in your other post. Please don't resurrect old, solved posts or double post. You're question will get much more attention if you just create 1 new post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest Rate Risk [ 2 Answers ]

Consider three bonds with 8% coupon rates, all selling at face value. The short-term bond has a maturity of 4 years, the intermediate-term bond has maturity 8 years, and the long-term bond has maturity 30 years. Which web site will be helpful for me to understand more about bonds.

Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

:) A 2 year maturity bond with face value of $1,000 that makes annual coupon payments of $80 and is selling at face value. What will be the rate of return on the bond if its yield to marurity at the end of the year is a. 6% b. 8% c. 10% :)

Coupon rate on a bond [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I have to find the coupon rate on a bond but every formula I find requires the coupon rate to already be configured. How do I work backwards to get what I need? Example problem - Samantha's bonds sell for $1065.15. The bond life is 9 years and the yield to maturity is 7 percent. What...

Help.. with transfer rate [ 1 Answers ]

Why when I'm downloading.anything frm net.. my transfer rate... very low... like 10kb or 11kb... my net speed is 1mbps... anyone know how to increase my net transfer rate

OPT Tax rate in New york city [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am an Indian student on OPT about to start work in a non profit organisation. I wanted to know how much is the OPT tax in New York? My OPT ends on July 19,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search