Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RCAZARES Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 11:49 AM
    Decomposition
    My sister passed away 40 years ago and was buried in a wooden coffin. My brother wants to exhume her remains to be cremated. I need to know how long does it take for a 3 month baby body to decompose and will there be any remains left to cremate?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2014, 11:52 AM
    I have to ask why? After 40 years. A lot depends on where this is and the local soild conditions... In an arid climate like the high desert of Nevada... a long LONG time... in a place with a high water table and a lot of rainfal like Florida or Louisianna... not very long at all.
    RCAZARES Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 01:46 PM
    She was buried in Mexico. The family resides in the US now. It's been over 6yrs since we gone to Mexico due to the bad violence at the border. My brother did some research on it and mentioned it to us. But realistically, would there even be anything after 40yrs? Not to mention, she was a 3mth baby.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:15 PM
    I called my cousin who owns a funeral home and went to mortuary school. He said it is extremely unlikely there would be any body to cremate after 40 years. If anything, bring the unopened coffin to this country and rebury it or cremate the unopened coffin.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 10:04 AM
    And a wooden coffin, not in any other protection, it would not be in one piece either ( depending on conditions)

This is one, where a nice memorial perhaps in memory and allow her body to rest in peace. And of course while there is a lot of violence, there is also 1000s of people who travel back and forth ever day
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2014, 11:28 AM
    The documents you will need and permission to cross the border will probably be daunting. It is understandable that officials will be suspicious at every step.

Try to think of her as part of the earth where she is... and possibly better there.
    Make a little shrine for her here - in your yard, your house, plant a little tree or shrub... just some ideas for comfort. Let her be.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 01:23 PM
    My funeral home cousin also mentioned what joypulv mentioned--getting the coffin through customs might be a ton of paperwork and nearly impossible. Yes, let her stay where she is and plant a tree or pretty bush or little garden in her memory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knetics and decomposition [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I'm studying for a test and got a stumped by this question and am not sure where to go, and I'm fairly certain it'll be on the test :eek: Anyway, whatever you can help me with would be great! I'm looking at the decomposition of HI 2HI (g) --> H2 (g) +I2 (g) It has a 2nd order rate law....

Thermal Decomposition [ 1 Answers ]

What is word equation for the thermal decomposition of the following: a) zinc carbonate b) iron nitrate c) sodium nitrate d) silver nitrate :mad::confused::mad::confused:

Decomposition Rate with Formaldehyde [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing a story, and I needed a little forensic help. What would a corpse look like after ten years of burial in a coffin, average winters/summers/rain and etc (average being average for places that get around three to eight inches of snow every year. How much slower does a body pumped full...

How do we know it is a decomposition reaction? [ 1 Answers ]

Please explain your answer ;) thankz for your help Like I said: How do we know it is a decompositon reaction? :confused:

Decomposition [ 2 Answers ]

This gruesome question is research for a novel... can you tell me the chronology of decomposition of a newborn body shallowly buried in freezing/near freezing outdoor temperature? How long would the body remain intact for identification of a cause of death?

View more questions Search