Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jie pits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 10:37 AM
    Can a A2 Visa holder dependent filling separately can claim a US citizen child
    Hi I would like to know if I can claim my Us citizen and non US citizen children as a dependent. I am a dependent of A2 visa holder working at foreign embassy. I have a US income from a private company and filling separately in 1040. NR? Lookingforward for your response. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:42 PM
    A-2 visa holders are by law non-resident alien and thus CANNOT claim dependents on their tax returns (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ). Sorry!

If you need professional help filing, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W4 form filling for L1 visa holder with L2 dependent without SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on L1 visa from Jan 2009. I recently got married and my wife accompanied me on L2 visa and she's not working (yet to apply SSN for her). She was here on tourist visa (B2 visa) earlier and stayed here for around 7 months last year. My questions are, 1. Is my wife non-resident alien or...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

H1 holder, F2 child, can claim as dependent? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I changed status on 4/1/2007 from F2 to H1, however, my child remained on F2 with my husband. I should file as a resident and my husband a non-resident. I wonder 1. whether the child to be treated as a resident so that I can claim the him as a dependent and get child tax credit. (In this...

HIB holder with H4B dependent and a child (US citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have been in the US for over 5 years; on an H1B since 2005. This year I find that I am no longer eligible to use TurboTax nor any other online application; GTE offers a 1040NR-EZ but I do not think that this is the appropriate form to fill. As an H1B holder with an H4B dependent (spouse)...

Married Filing Separately with G4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen married to a g4 visa holder at an international organization. She is exempt from US tax withholding. How do I file my tax return, married filing separately? Does this make me ineligable for education tax credits?

View more questions Search