Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jparrish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Should I or shouldn't I put soot sticks in furnace for cleaning
    I have heard that it's not a good thing to put soot sticks (by Chem Vac soot and
    Creosote remover sticks) in your furnace for cleaning. My furnace guy told me that.
    But, I am wondering if that's true or not. I have heard some good things about soot
    Sticks. So, my question is do soot sticks help or hurt your furnace.

Thank you so much.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 04:04 PM
    I see the word Furnace but many people call a boiler a furnace. So what exactly do you have?

Personally I don't believe in soot stick but have used them. You didn't say what unit you have. I'm assuming oil-fired heat. ( gas burns very clean)

The Best way to completely clean out soot from older boiler/chimney is remove metal top boiler covering. Under that you will see plate(s) that's above the jackets, gently remove those to expose the actual boiler jacket segments. To clean between them use a rod that looks like a long pipe cleaner and rod down between the jackets of the boiler. Those rods are sized for different boiler jackets to match jackets widths. After this is done you need to clean out the soot that dropped to the bottom of the heat chamber soot is flammable. That done we use either refectory cement or we use Smooth coat over the metal plates you reinstalled.

While we are doing this we also pull the metal galv smoke pipe(chimney from boiler to actual hose chimney) After pulled you can clean out the actual House chimney that soot sticks wont get rid of. Also now you can use a mirror to inspect lower chimney and see if threes any masonry pieces that dropped down the chimney that may warrant a full chimney inspection

http://www.buyinsulationproductstore...oat-127/Detail

The problem with soot sticks is that it can't clean out the heavy soot in bottom of chimney and doesn't address other issue that could be there. True story I was ion a jobsite installing a new bathroom and the owner had a service contract for his boiler, Tech installed new burner nozzle tip, cleaned electrodes, new oil filter, adjusted burner air flow, then threw in smoke stick and all hell broke loose. The chimney was very restricted and the soot stick chemicals back flowed into the house when it loosened up all the soot. Tech left and said need chimney sweep. Well that me lucky for my customers. I couldn't unblock the bird's nest with my chimney brushes and even just using the rods. I had to use a bow and carp arrow to shoot past that heavily blocked area. Unblocked it but now the Tech had to come back out because he set the air flow on a restricted chimney which now opened changed the flame tip in more oxygen being more air flowing up the Chimney.

I realize this as a home owner your probably will never do this but you now know what how too professionally clean out soot from a boiler. Now if you have oil forced air the heat exchanger is completely different and doest soot as bad but that exhaust smoke stack and house chimney needs to be periodically cleaned.

I see the word Furnace but many people call a boiler a furnace

Hope this helps you out
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 08:20 PM
    Most furnace & boiler manufacturers say not to use them.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2014, 01:13 AM
    I agree but in the 80s this was common

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blowing black soot [ 2 Answers ]

My Oil Furnace is blowing black soot into the house through all the vents. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix the problem?

Furnace power vent soot [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace has been cleaned, adjusted several times. Every year there is soot getting into the basement. It is a oil boiler furnace with a power vent. Person repairing says it needs a chimney. Power vent replaced 5 years ago. Problem just started 2/3 years ago. Not sure it needs a chimney. Any...

Oil furnace soot [ 1 Answers ]

My oil furnace keeps making soot and cut off. When we clean out the soot it comes right back. Filter and nossle has been changed, I have 17 inches of oil in my 550 gallon tank. What could be the problem

Soot from gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

12-yr old 395CAV Series F gas furnace in my recently bought house produces soot deposits wherever there s air movement, on air return register, kitchen exhaust fan and light cover, on spiderwebs on houseplants etc. It's lamp black. Have put in new store-bought air filter at the place where the...

How can I fix furnace with soot on pipe and floor? [ 1 Answers ]

Soot- black substance formed by combustion or separated from fuel during combustion, rising in fine particles, and adhering to the sides of the chimney or pipe conveying the smoke. My oil furnace is running, but doesn't sound as strong or clear. The notice this problem for 2 days. The smell in the...

View more questions Search