Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qaz112 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 10:28 AM
    Tests/jobs for someone who can detect a person lying.
    Here's a difficult one which I'm not getting anywhere with despite spending much time searching.

I read a several year old magazine article about a woman who replied to an ad looking for people to be tested to find out if they could detect when a person is lying. Apparently she had this hidden talent, as some people do, and when on to a new career as a result

Can anyone help me with this research in any way including a better category [I'll know if you're lying {smile]

Thanks mark
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2014, 10:31 AM
    They have lie detector machines that are far cheaper more reliable and don't take a vacation. And they don't have off days.

Jan 29, 2014, 10:37 AM
    Yes good point but only 2 years ago the uk women was sent to the fbi for further training in this skill, maybe there's a need for people to be tested without knowing about it. i think a detector needs a skilled operator too
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 10:50 AM
    There is really not much of a "trick" to it, FBI, most major investigation firms, They look at body language, eye movement, speech pattern. Some can attempt to watch heart beat or change. Movements over several standard questions, and so on.
    Used in investigations ( but can not get probable cause from it) also used in HR departments.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2014, 10:56 AM
    This came up when I searched "uk woman has talent for detecting lies". Any help for finding leads? Maybe?

"Only one in 400 people can spot a liar with any degree of accuracy. After hundreds of volunteers are tested on their ability to read body language and identify the liars as people respond to a series of questions, Brenda, a 63-year-old retiree who previously owned a wedding boutique, emerges as the most successful 'human lie detector' with a remarkable 80% accuracy rate.

To develop her natural talent, Brenda travels to the US for a two-day crash course in interrogation techniques and reading body language. Her Hidden Talent experts are ex-FBI agents Jack Schafer and Joe Navarro, who between them have over 40 years' experience in counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism.
    Brenda learns the skills that usually take years to hone to an expert standard, and for her final challenge, she must interview five people to determine which of them has taken a bag containing £500 from a room they have all entered independently."

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 10:58 AM
    I agree with chuck. It is all a matter of being observant. Sweating. Agitation, dor instance, can all be keys to not telling the truth.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2014, 11:02 AM
    I question the reliability of that article because I see a lot of problems with that... not saying its impossible... just that people aren't as consistent or reliable as a machine that can detect thing no person can. Now that's speaking of getting results that would be admissible in court or anyone's lives or carreers would be dependent on.

Its very difficult and almost impossible for a human to be truly objective... and its impossible for a machine to be subjective.

Unless maybe you misunderstood the actual point of the article...
    People can learn to read people by observing their body langauge... and maybe like in a large bank or retail establishment having someone in the loss prevention dept that would determine if a deeper examination might be warranted.

I actually know a few forensics types in the FBI... and if such a program exists it's a very small one. People are easier to decieve than polygraphs. Neither are 100% effective.

I can think of a few job fields that might use such a skill... Interogators, certain jobs in the security field. Intelligence agencies, Rare cases in human resources with the right companies.

So... its possible... and there are some fairly narrow areas where that might be of use...

If someone is dealing with the FBI for training... due to cost and logistics... you would most likely be talking some part of the government. Particularly internationally.

Jan 29, 2014, 03:11 PM
    Thanks all , and smearcase. That was the link I needed , watched the show, quite interesting and all questions now answered.

But its all in TV land where results can be fixed
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 04:42 PM
    One thing that bothered me about the article, it says she has an 80% accuracy rate. That's not a lot. If someone gave you birth control and said it's only 80% effective, would you use it? Na, you'd buy the birth control that's 99.9% effective, even though people still get pregnant using that form.

So, she has a 20% failure rate. Not great odds if you're relying on her skills to convict someone.

Apparently 1 in 400 people have this skill, that's a pretty good portion of the population. It would be very interesting to know if they're making a living based on this inexact skill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood tests to detect hormonal imbalance [ 7 Answers ]

Which blood test should I go for to see whether I have any hormonal imbalance? A teacher of mine told me that to see whether I have any thyroid problems then I should go for T3 and T4 tests. What are tests should I go for; for other hormonal imbalances?

Are there any urine tests that can detect longer than an ETG for alcohol? [ 12 Answers ]

Does the ETG urine test have the longest window of detection period for alcohol or are there any urine tests that are more advanced? If there are more advanced tests how common are they?

I'm going to cold call in person for jobs. Do I need a cover letter too? [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to go in person with my resume in hand (cold call) to prospective employers. Do I need a cover letter too or are those for when I mail in an inquiry? Thanks for any help!

How Can You Tell If a Person Is Lying? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! Well, all of us have had people who've lied to us. But, how do you tell if a person is lying? It could be your spouse, one of your children, a co-worker, an employee, your boss, a group of people, etc. Maybe it's their body language or the direction in which their eyes look when...

Tests to detect alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any test out there that can detect alcohol more than 6 days?

View more questions Search