Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judester45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Huge gas bill
    We just built a new home this summer. We have 2x6 walls and plenty of insulation. However, our gas bill for the month of Dec.-Jan was $460.00!! Gas company has checked and there in no leak. We have a Comfortmaker furnace, not sure of model, and last night with temp. outside of -8, the furnace ran 15 minutes until temp. was met on thermostat, but then in less than 5 minutes was back on and running again for 12 to 15 minutes. Any idea why we are unable to maintain temp. for longer period?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2014, 07:56 AM
    We need to know a few other facts as they significantly contribute to heating.

Geographically where its this and what were your average tempratures... how windy has it been, how many square feet of heated space is it?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 08:25 AM
    Rule of thumb, harsh weather higher gas bill. Be it heating or air conditioning summer or winter extreme temperatures outside make for bigger bills. You just use more kilowatts. Even if you are locked into a minimum rate for kilowatts usage plan from the energy companies, as we have always been.

See if you have such a plan where you are at, and how much do you pay per kilowatts used?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2014, 10:09 AM
    If you were in Miami that would be a big bill. In Green Bay maybe not. Where are you located? -8 degrees would indicate a colder climate. Larger 2 story houses are harder to maintain heat due to wall surface. Windows play a big role. I had a 3,800 sq. ft. home in Marietta, GA that routinely ran $200-300 per month in a cold winter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a huge bruise that turned into 3 huge brusies on thigh what could this be? [ 3 Answers ]

In the last week my original huge bruise has spread and now have 3 huge itchy bruises with small red bumps on some of them. I also have other smaller burises on my other leg and arms. What could this possibly be? I don't remember hitting anything to cause 3 huge bruises.. It's like they multiply...

Need Advice - Heating A/C unit HUGE repair bill after patio addition [ 0 Answers ]

In a home we own in another state, we recently had a patio constructed. To do this they had to move the heat/AC unit away from the home. They physically cut all the lines and pulled the unit away from the home - instead of disconnecting them. When the patio was complete, they taped them back...

What to do when disagreeing with a HUGE medical bill? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, this is complicated, I'll try to keep it as short & to the pt as I can: I was covered under my husband's health plan. He was let go from his job on 7/22. I'm in HR, so it's always been the norm (in my experience) that you are covered through the end of the month of termination. I knew this...

Huge Tax Bill Due that can't be paid now! Options? [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take a huge withdrawal from my 401K, and now have to pay a huge tax bill. However, I don't have the funds available for such a large payment. IS there a way to spread this payment out over several years without huge penalties and interests? Or, is there some sort of way to average out my...

Gas bill [ 3 Answers ]

My father past away June 12,2004 and the house I was living in is in my name but the gas bill is in his name. I gas company shut the gas off in January 2006 and now that I want to move back in the house, I went to the gas company and I was informed that I have to pay the old bill first before they...

View more questions Search