Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njmanion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2014, 10:56 PM
    Congo african grey parrot quit talking
    I have a 14 year old Congo African Grey parrot that I was told was a male when he came to live with me when he was just a few months old. His name is Newman and can talk, comprehend and carry on conversations just like a human. He is a total equal member of our family. Shortly after he turned 14 he started laying eggs once every few months.of course at this point we realized that whomever had sexed Newman had made a mistake and he was a she. Being a she and laying eggs was not a problem to us except that even though we do not plan to mate her she has quit talking to us and has turned mean and actually attacks us now. Does anyone know if this will pass? We love her with all our hearts and this is just crushing us emotionally. Is there anything we can do? We still talk to her like we did in the past to no avail. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2014, 11:41 PM
    I'm not very familiar with parrots, but I have had birds all my life and currently have two cockatiels.

One thing that's dangerous about having a female that's laying constantly is that constant egg laying is dangerous to her health. Sadly birds can't be spayed. You could try egg inhibition. That entails keeping her in a dark cooler room for at least 12 hours a day every day. The problem with domesticated birds is that they live in warm homes, with plenty of light, and therefore think that every day is spring, and time to lay. Birds won't lay in the colder darker months in the wild. Keeping the room a bit cooler (not cold, but cooler) and dark for at least 12 hours a day, will make the bird think it's fall or winter, and not time to lay. At least that's the theory. It didn't work for my birds.

The aggression and change in behavior may very well be because of the hormones she now has in her body, hormones that are attributed to egg laying. Sadly there's not much you can do about it. Hopefully it will pass with time, just like most hormonal teens tend to snap out of it when they get a bit older. But this is just a guess on my part. As I said, I really don't know a lot about parrots.

There are many bird experts all around the world. I would try to look for one in your area. I was very lucky. We had a shop called "Tiffany's bird Shoppe" where I live. Sadly it's now closed, but the man that used to own it knew more about birds than anyone I've ever met. That man was amazing.

I'd suggest googling "Parrot experts" and then your area. Or maybe place an ad looking for a parrot expert. Do not go to a pet store for advice, they barely know the names of the birds they sell. You could also find a breeder, talk to him her about your Grey.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with your teenager. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am a man with grey hair. I had dyed with a semi color. How can I go back to grey. [ 1 Answers ]

I dyed my grey hair with semi-color 'camel from Redken. I don't like the dark resulting hair. How can I get bark my grey hair right away??

Why blood come from african parrot's mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Why blood come from african parrot's mouth

Do you have a parrot? Or a parrot idea? [ 10 Answers ]

I have quite a few parrots from Parakeet to Macaw, but have not spent enough time with them in the past 6 weeks or so. I just moved, and moved away from my friends who also keep birds. Parrots need a lot of one-on-one, as much or more than children do. One in particular is really suffering from...

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

Travelling from Sierra Leone to the Congo [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take to drive from Sierra Leone to the Congo? By my calculations I think it would take roughly the same time as driving from Great Yarmouth to Thetford, but I'm not sure. Also, are there many caravans on this route as I'd imagine that...

View more questions Search