Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjs99998998 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
    Can I be forced to sell a home
    My mother in law bought a home in 2011. In late 2012 she started begging us to buy her home from her by just paying off the house, she wanted nothing just to rent from us until she wanted to move. We finally agreed and did her wishes in 2013. All transactions were complete through a sales contract, deeding it over to us, and us paying off her loan. Now her sister has found out and is trying to make us sell it back or merely quickclaim it to her. We are paying back our own loan. Can they make us sell?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 26, 2014, 12:22 PM
    No, the sister cannot force you to sell the property to her or anyone else. The only way you would ever be forced to sell is if they can prove that you defrauded your mother-in-law. Based on what you've said here there was no fraud involved.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Whose name is on the deed and mortgage? The mortgage was assumed by you through the mortgage company? How is the sister involved in ownership of the house?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2014, 12:36 PM
    Ok, so entered into a contract with your M-I-L to buy the house. Was it for fair market value? The contract specified that you would pay off the mortgage, right? Did you pay anything over to your M-I-L?

Once the contract was signed, your M-I-L deeded the property to you and you paid the mortgage with a mortgage of your own? Or was this all done at a closing?

As Lisa said the only way they could force you to return the property is if fraud was involved. And if you didn't pay market value, that could help. But if the M-I-L is of sound mind it will be very hard to prove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we short sell our home or file Chapter 13 and try to keep our home? [ 1 Answers ]

We are currently in a short sale process of our home of 11 years. We are upside down about $250,000 and owe $225,000 on our 2nd mortgage. We lost $30,000/year of our income and could no longer continue to pay the full mortgage. We tried for 18 months to get a loan modification but our first...

Being forced to sell house [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my partner had been together for approx 10yrs and in that time webought a house in joint names. Sadly the relationship broke down because my partner decided to stray and it was his decision to leave me.He hasn't been anywhere near for 3yrs at least and suddenly decides he wants to try...

Can I be forced to sell my home? [ 3 Answers ]

I have accumalated a large amount of unsecured credit card debt. The amount of debt exceeds the value of my home, that I own. No mortgage. What I am wanting to know is can the debtors ffile suit against me and force me to sell my home? Chapter 7 bankruptcy nor Chaper 13 are an option due the value...

If I am a 1/2 on a deed can I be forced to sell property? [ 3 Answers ]

I went in partners on my parents ranch I am on the Deed Both parents are deceased and I am arguably intitled to a 1/3 of the other 1/2. Of course my siblings want to force a sale can they?

Can I be forced to sell an asset to pay a law suit [ 2 Answers ]

My 16 yr old daughter was involved in an accident resulting in a pedestrian being injured. Of course, this pedestrian was trying to play chicken with her car according to a relative of the pedestrian. I only had the minimum amount of liablility insurance. He needed an operation on his leg and...

View more questions Search