Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoop100572 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2014, 06:58 PM
    Sewage smell
    After taking a shower in the upstairs bathroom we get a sewage smell down stairs. I have checked all drains for the smell but have been unable to locate where it is coming from. Where or what else can I check?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2014, 04:42 PM
    What seems to be happening is when you take that shower upstairs and while that water is draining it needs to draw air from the rest of the drainage system in order to drain and not vacuum lock. That air is supposed to come from the plumbing vent. However if that vent is blocked and or frozen with snow the water going down that shower drain is siphoning air from the rest of the house drainage and that will cause you losing water in the downstairs sink trap that block sewer gas.

So if its not a frozen /clogged vent pipe the vent pipe itself may not installed properly causing that siphonage from downstairs sink
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 08:03 PM
    Hi Shoop

Is this a new issue or has this been an issue since you moved in? Let us know...

Mark
    SpaParts Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2014, 09:47 AM
    This should be left up to experienced and trained technicians to do the sewage cleanup. A professional company will be able to conduct the sewage cleanup in a safe manner.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 12:44 PM
    Shoop is talking about a sewer SMELL SpaParts, not a sewage spill...;)

And since there is no sewer spill I won't go into details about cleaning things up, but it doesn't always require a professional, for sure!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a sewage smell? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a sewage smell in my kitchen that has covered the entire house. It only comes when the weather changes from hot to cold. I have tried bleach in the sinks, plus some lemon foam stuff I purchased from Lowe's. It works for a few hours but quickly the smell comes back. There are no leaks...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have an odd problem in an old house I just bought. The big problem is that just after doing laundry, and only then, there is a strong sewage smell. The second, and probably connected problem, is that when the washer drains, there is a backup in the sink next to the laundry room. My guess is...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

View more questions Search