Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2014, 06:26 PM
    Propane Regulator
    The project is to heat my spa with a Raypak 266K BTU propane heater by attaching 2 40# propane cylinders to it. I need a suggestion / recommendation for a regulator. I heard that I need a 13" wc regulator. No brand or model was recommended. Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2014, 07:27 PM
    There are only a couple of regulator companies, Fisher and Marshall comes to mind.

80# of propane will produce about 6.5 hours of burn at 266,000 BTU. Not enough capacity in my opinion.
    Propane characteristics referenced in this post:
    Characteristic Value
    Pounds per gallon of Liquid @ 60 degF 4.23
    Gallons per pound of Liquid @ 60 degF 0.236
    Formula C3H8
    Specific Gravity of Gas (air=1) 1.52
    Specific Gravity of Liquid @ 60 F (Water=1) 0.504
    BTU per Gallon of Gas @ 60 F 91,502
    BTU per lb. of Gas 21,548
    BTU per Cubic Foot of Gas @ 60 F 2,488
    Cubic Feet of Gas per Gallon of Liquid 36.38
    Gallons per Therm (1 Therm = 100,000 BTU) 1.1
    Gallons per MCF of Natural Gas (1 MCF = 1,000,000 BTU) 11
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Jan 26, 2014, 10:33 PM
    The output of an LPG tank is relative to the surface area of the liquid in the tank. Only so much propane can evaporate from a specific surface area. A 40# tank will ONLY output about 40.1 k btu's of propane per hour... at 60 degrees ambient air temperature (less output at lower temps). Hooking two tanks up in PARALLEL will only give you 80.2 k BTU's per hour. NO WHERE near enough to supply a 266K BTU heater. ANY regulator you try to use should freeze up solid in just a few minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane Pressure Regulator [ 4 Answers ]

My line from tank to house is too small for a tankless water heater. Is it safe to move the regulator from the tank to the other end of the line where it enters the house? As I read it the pressure from the tank should be around 200 pounds so the pipe should be capable of handling much more...

I am switching Propane Gas suppliers and need the underground propane tank removed [ 2 Answers ]

We built our house in 2000 and siged an agreement with AGWAY to supply us Propane and they agreed to provide us an underground tank for free if we purchase gas from them for (1) year. AGWAY is no longer in business and was bought out by SUBURBANE PROPANE. When we questioned SUBURBANE about our...

Using ceiling fan regulator for table fan regulator [ 0 Answers ]

Hey can I use my ceiling fan switch regulator that gives continuous regulation instead of steps which traditional regulators used to give , in my table fan regulation which also has three speeds to get continuous speed regulation?

Place to buy Propane Pressure Regulator near Olympia WA [ 2 Answers ]

Where is a place to buy a secondary Propane Pressure Regulator near Olympia WA for home. Inlet pressure about 12psi output about 14 inches water. 1/2" pipe threads in and out.

Regulator [ 4 Answers ]

On city water. House is 4 years old. Hoe can I increase water pressure at regulator? It has a tag on it say is is set at std. with range of 25-75. Do I lossen nut and turn srew ccw? Thanks

View more questions Search