Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thoughtiwastheman Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Jan 24, 2014, 05:51 PM
    No square footage on the deed
    Hi everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a house and I recently discovered that the square footage is not listed on the deed. The current owners pulled the permit to do renovation in the basement which added to the house's living area but they did not update the deed to reflect this. I suspect that once I update, or this house is reassessed, that my taxes will go up because of this oversight. Is my suspicion correct? Thanks for the help? I have contacted my attorney to tell me what the deed says now
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Square footage is not part of a deed, nor are renovations, or anything except change in ownership, or change to the land.

Your 'town card' will change, which is a detailed accounting of square feet, a drawing, taxes, and permits, among other things.

Your taxes will indeed go up, based on the new assessment that the assessor will do after the permit is signed off. It will be reflected on the next tax bill.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 24, 2014, 06:03 PM
    A deed does not typically list the square footage of either the property or the buildings on the property. The deed should only provide the legal description of the property, which usually includes a precise measurement of the outer boundaries.

Some towns will reassess a property for taxes after a transfer takes place or a renovation is completed. Other towns will reassess on a set schedule, such as once every 10 years or so.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2014, 07:53 PM
    Not an oversight. Tax records for assessment would show square footage, deed doesn't. If the previous owners pulled a permit, the city or county knows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square footage [ 5 Answers ]

I need the square footage of 38 inches wide by 288 inches long

Square footage [ 1 Answers ]

Please don't think this ridiculous, but I need to know how many 18" balloons I need to cover a ceiling that measures 70' x 21'. Please help me! I'm a 42 year old woman who was recruited to the prom committee at my school and I have no idea how many balloons to order!

Square footage [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800. We don't really care as the...

Square footage [ 6 Answers ]

How do I calculate the square footage of a room

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

View more questions Search