Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiliklimber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 10:08 PM
    Setback encroachment
    A NJ home built 30+ years ago encroaches into the 100' side setback. Lot sizes are 10+ acres with no visible neighboring house. Permits were issued and all inspections were performed but I do not know whether a variance was sought or approved. How can I find out if one was given? If the variance was not asked for, is the encroachment grandfathered in because the building permits/ inspections were done properly?
    Thank you for your thoughts
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 10:15 PM
    At this point it doesn't matter if a variance was requested. If the town issued a building permit and then issued a certificate of occupancy for the house then the encroachment should be grandfathered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Encroachment [ 2 Answers ]

My grandparents build their home some 60 years ago. They have both passed away and the neighbor had the property surveyed and found that part of the house is on his land. He is now claiming that the property belongs to him since it has been on his property so long. I live in Mississippi. Does that...

Encroachment [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations in North Carolina regarding encroachment?

Heat pump setback [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sure this question may have been brought up many times, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. For many years I have been told that setting back a heat pump in a residential situation is not going to save any energy, and perhaps be more energy wasteful. I'll pose the question as simply as...

Variance after the fact on building setback [ 2 Answers ]

We recently built a new home, submitting the proper plot plan and building plans to our city and getting a building permit. After we were all complete, and requested our final inspection and occ. Permit, the inspector discovered our rear setback was 20' instead of 25' like we had drawn on the plot...

Heat pump setback thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have used setback thermostats for many years, but now I live in a home with a heat pump rather than a gas furnace. I understand that setting back the thermostat, then calling for heat will energize the emergency / auxiliary heat. Is the savings obtained by setback enough to overcome the...

View more questions Search