Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjm120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Unearned revenue and hand money held in escrow
    I am doing a accounting software class and needed to set up my own accounts and not use the ones given in peachtree. I have a list of transactions and one of them is a retainer received for 500 and the work is expected to be completed within the month(and then it is) do I need to set up an unearned revenue liability account for this even though it is work completed two weeks later?
    My next question is about hand money for a real estate transation for a client. This is not at any time my money and it does not specify if the check is written to me or my client. I don't know if this is something that I have to deposit and if so what would be the account to use? Is it a debit to my savings account and then one to some type of liability account or is it to a special account that needs to be set up for this type of thing. These transactions given by the professor are not very specific. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm120
    I am doing a accounting software class and needed to set up my own accounts and not use the ones given in peachtree. I have a list of transactions and one of them is a retainer recieved for 500 and the work is expected to be completed within the month(and then it is) do I need to set up an unearned revenue liability account for this even though it is work completed two weeks later?
    That all depends. Is it is a big company, then yes. If a small company, then no.

Setting it up helps to track it, if you don’t really need to track it, then no big deal.

Since this is a homework question, I would set it up, just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm120
    My next question is about hand money for a real estate transation for a client. This is not at any time my money and it does not specify if the check is written to me or my client. I don't know if this is something that I have to deposit and if so what would be the account to use? Is it a debit to my savings account and then one to some type of liability account or is it to a special account that needs to be set up for this type of thing. These transactions given by the professor are not very specific. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
    Hand money? I don’t quite understand what you are saying here.

Where is this “ hand money” coming from, if not from your or your client?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned Service Revenue STill Unearned. [ 5 Answers ]

If the Trial balance says Unearned Service Revenue Cr. 12,560 The adjusting entry says Unearned Service Revenue still unearned, $800, how do I enter this?

Roman Tub Hand Held Shower - DIVERTER [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a jacuzzi tub and a Price Pfister Roman Faucet set. My wife has requested a Hand Held Shower attachment and OBVIOUSLY I want to fulfill her request. Here is my dilemma: I NEED A DIVERTER for this faucet set which can be activated forn the tub and the hose can...

Unearned Revenue Still Unearned [ 1 Answers ]

I have to make an adjusting entry for this: Unearned Service Revenue still Unearned, $800 There is a previous credit balance of 5,300. At first I thought there was no entry, but then when I started to do the income statement the answer I'm suppose to have is not correct with the answer I...

Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

I NEED HELP I have a problem that I am doing for my accounting class. I am trouble with adjusting the unearned rent and rent revenue. In the trial balance ledger: unearned rent 1,200 Adjustment was : the unearned rent on Dec. 31 was 400 How do I calculate this for the work sheet?

Unearned services [ 3 Answers ]

I received a check today for $ 6,000 from providence country club to photograph events held at the club over the next 12 months. This is the journal entry I did, please let me know whether it is correct. Cash 6000 Unearned revenue 6000 This is the final trial balance adusting entry...

View more questions Search