Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eltorro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 03:28 PM
    Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe
    My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one.
    It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I can tell with my finger that there is a ridge in there where a gasket could fit..
    What would I call it at Home Depot or should I just load it up with silicone?
    It is a 1 1/2 " waste pipe..

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by eltorro
    My house was built in early 70's..No plastic..I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall..I needed a longer one.
    It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe..I can tell with my finger that there is a ridge in there where a gasket could fit..
    What would I call it at Home Depot or should I just load it up with silicone?
    It is a 1 1/2 " waste pipe..

Hi ,
    If there's no plastic then you have a 1 1/2" copper stub out. The method used to connect a lavatory at installation is to remove the chrome finish from the section to be soldered down to the bare brass of a 1 1/2" metal "P" trap and solder it in to the copper pipe. I have no idea what kind of a gasket would be used to rig up such a connection but it's my guess that a plumber didn't do it. The silicone idea will give you trouble in the long run. My advice ? Do it the right way and solder it in. Good luck, Tom
    eltorro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2005, 04:40 PM
    The hole in the wall isn't much bigger than the pipe..
    I'll try to solder but I don't have a lot of room.
    I see no evidence that the original waste pipe was soldered and for sure there was a gasket.. maybe neoprine..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Crack in pipe that enters the wall under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in the chrome pipe that goes from the wall into the PVC that my kitchen sink dumps into. Is there a way to fix this without ripping out the wall and replacing that pipe?

Nut on wall pipe is too corroded and won't come off [ 1 Answers ]

The wall pipe under the kitchen sink has a hole. I already disconnected the end that attaches to the trap, but the side that connects to pipe in the wall is badly corroded and the nut won't come loose. I already tried banging the pliers with a hammer and WD40. I can't get it to budge at all. ...

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

Broken pipe in wall [ 1 Answers ]

:'( Trying to fix clogged drains. While unscrewing pipe fitting from wall, pipe cracked. Lots of buildup in the grooves. Trying to replace the fitting and it won't fit due to grooves not being clean. What 's the best way to clean the grooves. Been "chipping" at it for 2 days... we are out both...

View more questions Search