Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgj2118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 12:22 PM
    Dog is vomiting but not passing stool
    Cash is a boxer-cattle hound mix. He has always had a sensitive stomach - and we have visited the vet occasionally when he has vomiting spells. The vet has given an anti-vomiting injection, and instructed small meals and monitoring as long as Cash continues to drink small amounts, and/or regain his interest in food.

This time, I decided to wait it out - and not head to the vet right away. Cash is continuing to improve - has eaten rice and hamburger - small meals. He has taken a dog biscuit or 2 and keeps his food down for several hours now.

Over the last 2-3 days, his vomiting has decreased from frequent to sparse. I feel he is improving - and he remains somewhat active and in "good spirits..."

To my knowledge, he has not passed a bowel since he ate the marrow bone that made him ill the other day. We have walked him as usual, and he is out in the back yard several times a day.

I am monitoring him, but am wondering if I am being negligent avoiding the vet for right now.

Any suggestions?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 12:30 PM
    If he's not removing waste, and it's been days of this, then he probably should see the vet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2014, 12:45 PM
    I agree... time for the vet... ASAP.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tgj2118 View Post
    Cash is a boxer-cattle hound mix. He has always had a sensitive stomach - and we have visited the vet occasionally when he has vomiting spells. The vet has given an anti-vomiting injection, and instructed small meals and monitoring as long as Cash continues to drink small amounts, and/or regain his interest in food.

This time, I decided to wait it out - and not head to the vet right away. Cash is continuing to improve - has eaten rice and hamburger - small meals. He has taken a dog biscuit or 2 and keeps his food down for several hours now.

Over the last 2-3 days, his vomiting has decreased from frequent to sparse. I feel he is improving - and he remains somewhat active and in "good spirits..."

To my knowledge, he has not passed a bowel since he ate the marrow bone that made him ill the other day. We have walked him as usual, and he is out in the back yard several times a day.

I am monitoring him, but am wondering if I am being negligent avoiding the vet for right now.

Any suggestions?
    This appears to be more/different than his 'normal' sensitive stomach issues. You need to take him to the vet.

If it was the bone that made him ill, he may have swallowed a splinter that could be doing damage to his system.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 03:34 PM
    It sounds like a possible blockage (this is just a guess). I would definitely go to the vet. No bowel movement when he's eating fine, is a sign that something is going on that he needs help with.
    josh.casement Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2014, 12:50 AM
    Sounds like your pet might have a blockage of some type. My dog ate a tube-sock once and had the same symptoms. Had to have surgery. Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pet not passing urine and stool.. while trying it stays in that for 10-15 minutes [ 6 Answers ]

My pet not passing urine and stool.. while trying to urinate it stays in that position for 10-15 minutes but didn't

Mucus in dog stool [ 3 Answers ]

I was on here a few months ago asking about my very sick dog, he's doing great now and we haven't had any more problems but I've just recently noticed that he has some mucus in his stool. The stool itself is normal but there's just a little mucus in it. Is this anything I should have checked out or...

Blood in stool and vomiting clear [ 2 Answers ]

My cat feels like hell. She has been vomiting clear liquid and has blood in her stool. Any one else having this problem?

My kitten is passing blood in his stool [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten started passing a little bit of blood in his stool today and I was wondering if I should be concerned I also have a pekapoo puppy and I was wondering if my kitten could possibly have something that my puppy could catch

5 week old kittens passing bloody stool [ 5 Answers ]

5 weeks old kittens are passing bloody stool and will an antibiotic help clear it up?

View more questions Search