Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdtokansas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 08:17 AM
    Examples of HIPAA Law Violations
    My mother is living in a nursing where my sister-in-law works. She does not have DPOA-I do. She called me and released information regarding a scheduled procedure for my mother. Is this a HIPPA violation?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2014, 08:24 AM
    Not as I see it. She works for the facility, meaning at any point she might have contact working with any of the residents there in the course of her job.. she relayed information to an autorized individual outside the facility, which was you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 08:50 AM
    Is the sister in law a nurse that would know, or a janitor that should not know.

And how is information done, a chart on the bed to be read ?

Also her telling you, is not a violation, since you are authorized to know.

The person who told here, ( if she is not authorized to know)

Please tell us, her position and duties at the home.

I will add, how large is the home, I used to be a minister at several nursing homes. As such I would know and hear about most of the patients illness, tests and more.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 09:33 AM
    You have your mother's power of attorney and if medical, you are the one to authorize the procedure. Who else could she tell. Did you not know what the POA accomplishes?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 22, 2014, 09:36 AM
    You don't say what her title there is - do you feel that her job description doesn't allow for her to talk about your mother's condition? Didn't she just tell you what tests were scheduled?
    Can you tell us what your concerns might be?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Examples of Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The HR manager from my job called and left a message regarding a medical appointment of mine on the voicemail of another person who is not a contact/listed as a contact of mine. The other person is someone I know, but not a contact. Immediately after she did this, she called my phone and spoke to...

Hipaa law violations [ 10 Answers ]

I was seen by a doctor and was given the results of my tests. My husband's aunt has the same doctor and had an appointment with him later that day. The doctor told her my results and medical history. My husband and I are the only ones to receive any information about my medical history (past,...

Hipaa law violations by fire departments [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a fire department as a PARAMEDIC, can a captain of mine go through an ENS run form and contact a patient of mine , if he wasn't on scene of the call in the first place?

HIPAA Violations? [ 27 Answers ]

My child was discovered to have lice at school. 1. The children were immediately lined up together to go to the nurse office for a lice inspection. My child was the only one told to take her belongings. Of course, the other children figured out that my child had lice. A notice was sent home to...

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

View more questions Search