Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keyzka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2014, 09:26 AM
    Help -footers poured in freezing temperatures
    We live in Lexington, KY and are having our first home built by a local big box builder. The footings were dug and poured yesterday in 50 deg temps. The truck left the job site at 5pm, footings left uncovered despite my pleading, 39 by 7pm and 19 by 8am with 3 inches of forecasted snow. At 9am a tarp (no thermal blankets) was laid, trapping the snow. Temps will drop as low as 3 today.

I was eventually able to speak with the sub who poured. He states a standard concrete mix was used with no additives or warm water mixed in. He stated he did not cover because it "should be OK."

The house is a slab (no basement) approx 3,300 sq feet - not sure if I am missing more relevant info. We are putting everything we have into this home and planned to enjoy it for years to come. Am I right to be concerned? Any suggestions for my options at this point?

Thank you - I appreciate any help you can give!!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2014, 12:19 AM
    The killer here is that temp dropping to 3. Earth has a warmer temp and the Crete generates its own heat for a short period. I've been pouring footers for 35 years and I can't believe what was done here.

NOBODY pours footer in that temp range and not cover it with straw and plastic and or warming blankets. Others also screw up removing blankets/straw too quickly and shocking the Crete in temp changes, which I've seen, cracked footers and poured walls because of that . .

Call the inspector ASAP, explain what was done. Let the inspector doing the pushing here, If the footers are still unprotected in freezing temps he should flag the footers meaning they need re poured. .

Weather they used hot water when they poured or additives the temp got too low for any additive in Crete to set properly. People get confused on additives, It's for slowing down the freezing time and allowing you to pour and place Crete BEFORE it freezes that day. After that day NO additives will keep the top from freezing.
    Concrete has to be protected from freezing and thawing until it reaches 3500 Psi

What happens in a new pour is the top freezes and separates from the Crete below and the top will spaw

The other situation is when you pour footers in cold temps curing time is greatly added. Normally at 75 degree it takes 30 days for 100% cure. 2 weeks you hope for 60% to 70% curing. Setting and curing are 2 diff things

This chart lays this out well in Temp VS Cured

http://www.cl.wackerneuson.com/filea...cept_Sheet.pdf

Table 1 Setting Time of Concrete at Various Temperature

Curing in Construction

Personally Id tear it all out because of that 3-degree and it's still left exposed. The other problem is if that ground freezes under the footer the footer can heave and split. I've also seen that on footers not taken care of. Rebar or not.

Your problems may continue. Problem in Slab houses is if the Builders doesn't protect the dirt back-fill from rain snow melt and uses that for inside slab back filling, when he mechanically tamps the dirt it gets what you call pumping action, rubbery. When Crete floor is poured on that bad compaction the dirt dries out in time and settles too much and slab gets a lot of cracks.

This time of year how can you pour the slab in bad temps mmm As a builder during this time a year we dig quick pour footers before dirt freezes, pour footers and cover until it sets. Then wait for a good day and lay block and cover again. We Won't pour a slab until daytime temps above freezing use hot water etc place slab and cover that day and wait for a month or so before uncovering.. .
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2014, 07:59 AM
    My experience is in highway and bridge concrete inspection and I agree completely with 21 Boat. This work was done with no regard for normal specifications or standard practice. It was done when it was done, strictly for the subcontractor's convenience. You need to go on record with the prime contractor, and a copy to the inspection agency, in writing to register your complaint. My guess is that in addition to the current problem of slow development of strength in this concrete, they will soon add insult to injury by placing loads on this footer.
    Document what was done while data is readily available. Include records of highs and lows for the days in question. research and find which specification was applicable and quote it chapter and verse to show what the violations were. Hire an engineer to help you present your case if necessary.
    Problems may not show up for a while but the durability of your home has definitely been reduced and it is a permanent loss of quality if not redone.
    Ignore this basic problem and plan on the trend to continue throughout the construction of your home, with all phases of work.. Your contractor knew what was being done and turned his back.
    Edit: Added link- http://www.graniterock.com/technical..._concrete.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor washer and freezing temperatures [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again. I need to put a washer and dryer outside in an unheated space in North Carolina. Temperatures occasionally drop below freezing. How can I protect the washer from freezing? Is heat tape on the water supply and discharge sufficient? Do I need to protect the drum or pipes inside the...

Freezing temperatures in ireland no cold water downstairs everywhere else is fine [ 2 Answers ]

Have no cold water downstairs but upstairs is fine its -5 here in ireland

Is is safe to use the washing machine during freezing temperatures [ 3 Answers ]

The current temperature is 28 degrees. I want to wash a load of clothes, but I don't want to increase the risk of my pipes bursting? Does washing clothes during frigid temperatures increase the chances of pipes bursting?

Washing machine drainage in freezing temperatures [ 3 Answers ]

I have a front load washer in my laundry room the drain hose runs to a pipe that is on an outside wall, that leads to the drain pipes. We have had temperatures in the low teens for the past 4 days. Tonight I decided to do a load of laundry, and the water will go into the washer, but it won't spin...

York Heat Pump Shutting Off with below freezing temperatures [ 5 Answers ]

I have an older York Heat Pump. When outdoor temperatures drop below freezing the outdoor unit stops running and the thermostat shows the red emergency heat light flashing five times like a pattern. Our electric bills have been astronomical, with the last one reaching 851.00 for one month. When I...

View more questions Search