Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
    How to control barking.
    I have three dogs and they love to bark, two are big and the other is medium sized so they make allot of noise. Since we live in the suburbs, there are lottes of other dogs and various noises to set hem off. I am afraid that they are annoying my neighbors. Any one got any advice?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Could they bark as much with muzzles on ?

Apr 1, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Trust me I have thought of that, but they would have to wear them all day. But I do wonder that if they wore muzzle for awhile if it might train them to not bark.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Barking is a tough one Matt. Especially since you have three dogs. They "feed" off each other.

We have had this question pop up many times. Are the dogs inside most of the time? Are they in a fenced in yard? Has anyone complained or called the police on you?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
    The details that Ruby asked for would help, but the best thing is to bring them inside when they bark. If you can't trust them loose in the house, crating works very well with most dogs. It works best if somebody can give them a mid day break. If you can't make it home for lunch, see if a neighbor or a professional dog walker can. The deluxe solution is doggy day care.

I feel the idea of a muzzle is a very poor one.

Apr 1, 2007, 07:07 PM
    They go in and out as they like most of the time. The yard is fenced in. I bring them in but they are so loud I can't stand it. No one has complained, I know all my neighbors very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Barking is a tough one Matt. Especially since you have three dogs. They "feed" off of each other.

We have had this question pop up many times. Are the dogs inside most of the time? Are they in a fenced in yard? Has anyone complained or called the police on you?
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Okay, so the problem is yours, no one else's. That's good. Not quite sure what else to tell you here except I agree that a muzzle is not a solution. Muzzles are to keep dogs from biting, not from making noise. I don't recommend shock collars I find them too cruel. HATE THEM.

My dog doesn't utter a peep when I am not around. When I am home, she barks at every noise too. But, I trained her to do that. I am in a very isolated area and if someone shows up, I want her to "sound all the alarms."

So, what is probably happening for you is that they are letting you know, their leader, that something is outside and, they are letting those others outside know that "others" better watch themselves. They are doing their job of protecting their territory.

Not much you can do about it. With one dog, you can correct the barking, but with three all together feeding off each other, it will be nearly impossible. I am assuming you want to hang out and watch TV or do some stuff and they react to every little noise outside. If you want to watch TV, put them in another room so it won't be so distracting. Or, you can just do what I do when mine is being a little too annoying. I just "bark" at her and look her right in the eye. Kind of a low guttural repeated "K" or "Ch" sound. "Kekekeke" or "ChChCh" short staccato effect. Hard to teach over the internet. But, it is a sharp, low, loud, short noise that gets her attention. She looks at me when I do it, I stare her straight in the eye and repeat the sound. She gives me a look as though I just beat her or something. LOL. She immediately breaks eye contact while I continue to maintain mine, her barking trails off to a whine and then she stops.

Sorry, best I can offer up to you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Sounds like you really have given them too much freedom and an alpha male wouldn't do that. You have to be the alpha male of the group. I will do some research of sources I know and get back to you. Your problem obviously has to be solved. I suggested the muzzles because they can really open their mouths too much to bark loud while wearing one. And you said you had thought of that too. Ruby's suggestion of eye contact and barking back is a really good one, and that too, is establishing alpha seniority.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
    I know what you are saying about the muzzle, tickle. But, unfortunately, it will be an expense that won't really do what he needs them to do. Soft muzzles do keep their mouths closed a bit more than a basket one. But, the muzzle was created to keep them from biting, not barking. If they can open up their mouths to drink water (which they can with a muzzle), they can still bark and, OMG, will they whine! Especially if he is at home with them. If Matt can afford it, the crates usually help them to settle down and be a bit more quiet. But, in the end, with three dogs going at it all at once! Oww. Not much anyone can do to keep them quiet when you want them to be. He might be able to do what I suggested with one, but it will be very difficult to effectively apply that solution with three running around. That is why the crating or putting them in another room, where you will create a controlled situation, will be the most effective solution. I have spoken with Matt on these boards in other areas and I know finding the extra money needed, is an issue right now for him. So, if he doesn't have crates already, he might not be able to do that. That is why I was suggesting another room. At least, for a couple of hours, he might have a little more peace and quiet! But, if you can find another idea or solution for him, great! I would definitely like to hear it. It is always good to add to the knowledge base. :)
    Tradedin Posts: 8, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    I have three dogs and they love to bark, two are big and the other is medium sized so they make allot of noise. Since we live in the suburbs, there are lottes of other dogs and various noises to set hem off. I am afraid that they are annoying my neighbors. Any one got any advice?
    Sum good advice is don't shout or make loud noises when they bark. They look to you as a leader and when you shout they think that your joining in at whatever they are barking at. Instead quietly put your finger to your mouth and sharply make a ''sssssshhhhhh'' sound. Remember to do this to the top dog though and the rest will follow lead. Also make sure you treat the top dog like the top dog i.e by always greeting/ feeding them first it helps the others foolow that dogs lead. That's all I can think of right now lol
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:49 AM
    This is a copy of an answer I gave in January:

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Neuter him if not already. The above are fundamental techniques I suggest for almost all behavior problems and should help with barking too. The truth is, Labs usually don't bark that much and I don't methods of controlling barking that I have been successful using. It isn't even in the manual for them. The manual does have a suggested reading list which I put in the sticky at the top of the dog forum. Right now, I am working on The Other End of the Leash by Patrica McDonnell.

She suggests the first step is not to yell at the dog. After all, usually if one dog starts to bark, any others around will to. So yell at your dog when it barks and it is happy to have you bark with it. Quietly tell it enough and walk over to it with a treat, doesn't need to be very big. Let him know you have it and use it to lure him away from what he is barking at if anything, and praise him as he shifts his attention to the treat and away from barking. Once away from where he was barking, give him the treat.

Unlike much of my other advice, this is not something I have tried and found works. It does come from a reliable source and I would trust it more than something I found on a website I know little about. I just hope he isn't smart enough to figure out if he barks, he gets a treat plus your attention.

It is my daughter's book. I will see how she makes out with the little terrier mix they have that is a barker. The book was a Christmas present, and he was still barking when they were here at New Years.
    paradoxlie Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Apr 16, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Trust me I have thought of that, but they would have to wear them all day. But I do wonder that if they wore muzzle for awhile if it might train them to not bark.
    Its working for me... Hes getting better. When he won't stop after being put in the cage for the night, I slip on the cloth muzzle... he becomes a little puppy, again... aftera half hour or so I take it off and he goes to sleep. Give it a shot.
    ant123253 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2007, 12:52 AM
    A dog groomer suggested this to me when my dog barked at everything and everyone possible.

When they are barking just get a like bottle with a squirter on the top, fill it with water and just spray them a few times. I tried it on my dog and she stopped straight away. Hope that helps...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

Barking Dog Situation [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I have an Australian Shepherd who won't hush. He keeps me up all night. I need some sleep. Please help.:confused:

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

Barking Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini doxie who is a year old. She continues to bark at everyone, I try to distract her with her toys or tell her to quiet down. I bring her to work with me on occasion. She's always around other people and dogs since she's been 3 months old. Lately, she barks at everyone. I can't get...

View more questions Search