Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Interfedco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2014, 05:03 AM
    Music audition spreadsheet and charts
    Our symphony holds auditions. The next one will be on percussion instruments, and will have 50 candidates. During a three-day process, they will be winnowed down to one or two. They will perform many excerpts from repertoire, each lasting less than a minute. I would like to score each performance in three ways: Technique, Sound, Musicianship. The total running score will determine who advances. After the audition, I would like to offer feedback to individual candidates. The simple running totals are not useful. I would like to tell Candidate B, for example, how s/he scored against "average", and in comparison with the highest and lowest IN EACH INSTRUMENT, EACH OF THE THREE CRITERIA and EACH EXCERPT. Some sort of graphic display would suffice, so the candidate could tell, for example, how s/he scored, and compared, in xylophone sound, or cymbal technique, as well as simply cumlatively against the field. I have enquired in a limited way amongst colleagues, and have not found anything as detailed (and potentially very useful) available. Thank you.
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Jan 20, 2014, 08:27 AM
    Why not give the spreadsheet (minus names) to the candidate?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 21, 2014, 08:05 AM
    If you mock up your sample layout with 3-4 sample sets of candidate results, then mockup a sheet manually showing the results you'd like to automate from that simple sample data, I may be able to move that along for you.

To add a workbook, click GO ADVANCED and use the paperclip icon.
    Interfedco Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2014, 03:10 PM
    Thank you for responding... I was unable to use ASK ME correctly and didn't see your answer. We held auditions, and my crude spreadsheet helped Me, at least. I have seen quite a bit of interest from colleagues, and will be wanting to refine and streamline much of the process. I am using a Mac with about 4 gig of RAM, but would frequently get an OUT OF MEMORY crash, possibly because there were so many formulas in cells. If you are still interested in helping me, I will send a "small" sample as you requested. Thank you. John
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 25, 2014, 07:43 AM
    Sure, whatever you need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

40 year old female singer to audition for the voice what is a great audition song [ 2 Answers ]

What would be good songs to sing for an audition for the voice? I have a mezzo soprano voice and have thought that Bonnie Raitt song "I can't make you love me" would be a good choice, but I am stuck deciding on other songs. Help!

How do you know when to use bar charts and when to use pie charts? [ 4 Answers ]

How do you know when to use a bar chart and when to use a pie chart in statistics?

Off the charts [ 2 Answers ]

Actual writings on hospital charts: 1. She has no rigors or shaking chills, but her husband states she was very hot in bed last night. 2. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year. 3. On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it disappeared. 4. The...

Using d2 value from Control charts [ 0 Answers ]

I have only one observation per sample The tables give values starting at 2, I am having this doubt what is the value I should use. I have used n=2 for calculating the things. The only reason being it is closest to 1 (my value for n) for my situation is this correct. I am having times for...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search