Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reddro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2014, 06:58 PM
    Dlink Router Address same as Cable Modem
    My cable modem has the same ip address (192.168.0.1) as the DLink router. When I type it into Internet Explorer, I get the admin screen for the cable modem. What can I do?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2014, 06:55 AM
    Try this. Unplug the power to your cable modem. Reboot your computer. Now go to 192.168.0.1 and you should see the router's admin page. Login to the router and change the IP address to something like 192.168.0.2. Save the settings and unplug the router's power.

Now, plug in the modem's power and let it initialize for a minute or two. Next, plug in the router's power and do the same. You should be fine at this point, but you might need to reboot your computer.

When you need to access the router for any reason, use the new 192.168.0.2 address.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2014, 07:59 AM
    If this happens, then you don't just have a cable modem, it's a combination modem/router. The cable company would never allow you to configure their modem.

So what you have is 2 routers. And you need to do what Wally suggests to change the address of your DLink.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best cable modem/ wireless router combo box ? [ 4 Answers ]

I have Charter cable (California) and an older CRT TV and a Netflix subscription. Just bought a Roku and want to replace my cable modem with a cable modem/wireless router box to stream Netflix/Amazon/Pandora from my computer (Mac G4 Quiksilver Gen 1). Charter tells me they can come out and trade my...

Connect dsl/router to cable modem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I used to have internet connection through QWEST. Now I have Internet connection through Mediacom, which is cable internet. I use a modem called RCA DCM425 as of now. I am aware that this modem is not Wi-Fi, and 2WIRE is. After investigating a lot on the Internet I found out that it is possible...

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

View more questions Search