Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 03:12 AM
    Owen and Shadow
    I know I have talked about this before but it is worsening. I have become more observant to see if I can figure out triggers.
    Background. Owen and Shadow do not get along at all. Owen gets along with Kudos and will even snuggle and groom him. They did have an incident last week but Kudos jumped up and scared Owen. Owen did not see him. Owen and Sookie ignore each other. Owen has grown up with the cats since we got him. The cats were full grown when we got Owen.

Tonight I happened to be awake and on the computer when hubby left for work. Owen lunged at Shadow when she walked by him, he was on the bed she was on the floor. He got in her face and she was backing away making the sound he dislikes. This time she did not make the sound first.
    He knows he is not allowed to go after her. I have to pull him away as he will not back away on his own. Almost like he is being stubborn and not wanting to show weakness?

I have put Owen in his kennel as I don't want to be asleep and not able to react in time to stop this behavior. Owen likes his kennel and will go in there sometimes on his own. He is also put in there when no one is home as he is a stinker and loves to chew things such as Kleenex, toilet paper, paper, or empty food wrappers he finds in garbage cans by computer. The men in the house seem to forget to put stuff in garbage can.

1. Shadow is an older kitty. She is 14 years old. She limps once in awhile when the weather changes due to arthritis. She is slowing down and showing her age. Could that be a part of it? Survival of the strongest? Or is Owen being a butthead?

2. I know you can not train cats easily. But how do you teach the dog to lay down and ignore the cat? Shadow will not go near Owen. She will avoid him.

3. Shadow does have that one meow if we hear we know we need to get there immediately as Owen dislikes it and will start staring or go after her. It is like it is an invitation to fight.

4. Water bottle sprayed at him to snap him out of it after the fact? He will stay fixated on her even after we break it up.

5. He will try to go after cats running around outside. He will not even tolerate them in the yard if he sees them.

Rehoming is NOT an option for my pets. I will not get rid of any of them. I love them all and will keep alert to prevent this. I am just looking for training tips for Owen. Is there any good books that will help? Good online videos? When he gets in the alert zone with anything he is difficult to snap him out of it and stop focusing only on that.

I really wish one of you lived near me so you could tell me what I am doing wrong. Love Owen dearly but to be honest this breed is not for people who are not experienced in dog ownership. Although if I had researched and known what I know now, I would not have Owen :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 04:54 AM
    I think you could be right. Owen knows the cat is weaker now in reaction time because of age and arthritis and is taking advantage of it. You know you have to be extra vigilant at that particular time, or Owen might do what he wants to do, and that is attack a weaker animal. Owen is only following instinct unfortunately. An undesirable instinct trait can't be trained out of a dog; it is in their inherent nature.

I am being completely honest here and I think you would appreciate that more then placebos. Good luck

Tick
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 06:43 AM
    Thank you tickle. Times like this I wish I could sit down and talk to the both of them and make them understand. They don't need to love each other but respect each other and give space.
    Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 08:38 AM
    Yes, agree. I am dogsitting a horrible little unspayed terrier, l/3 of the size of Brook, and she is very possessive of my husband and very jealous. She started coming to us quite immature and in heat. Brook and her get into some very nasty dog fights and my husband has to get them apart. This little one has no respect for the pecking order in our house, no idea that Brook is top dog and doesn't know I am alpha here. I too wish I could sit her down and give the status quo. I am counting the days off until she goes back to her owner.
    Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 08:41 AM
    PS and yes I know have a dog crate for her and she is actually very good about going into it (after I had to throw away two very good area rugs from her damage!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owen [ 11 Answers ]

Well as we were saving money to get him to a skin vet/ allergy vet something else came up. I don't believe this is fleas as the vet treated him and the cats aggressively the last time. They had the meds every two weeks instead of monthly. The cats are not scratching or losing fur they are...

Owen scared [ 5 Answers ]

We had come home and Owen jumped off the bed and went to another room cowering. He was scared. Most of you know that Owen is not abused and is well taken care of but he acted like I would expect an abused dog to act. He had gotten into garbage and had been chewing on them (an empty chip bag). ...

Bones and Owen [ 5 Answers ]

As most of you are aware Owen has food allergies and is on a strict diet of only fish products. He has not had bones or rawhide since being diagnosed with allergies. The vet has okayed us trying out Elk Bones as they are supposed to have less reactions for allergies. Owen is loving his bone......

Owen graduated [ 3 Answers ]

Just to let people know Owen has graduated from his puppy class. I am so proud of my boy. I do wish I would have been able to attend one of the classes but hubby had to take him to all of them due to work. Kind of was a good thing as he was not listening to hubby as much as me. I have pics...

A shadow of a shadow person? [ 2 Answers ]

First, I'll set the scene. I'm laying down on my bed on my left side facing my window blinds. On the other side of the room was my digital clock that shined a bright light onto the blinds and it was about two or three in the morning. SO... I suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep for no apparent...

View more questions Search