Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBHP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2014, 09:40 PM
    Miss my wife
    I was married for 21 years to the love of my life, divorced for 5 years, still miss her as as much today, in fact it hurts more. My service dog (beagle) helps a little. When the hurt seems hopeless I have pictures of us and 1 or two of her alone. It always makes me feel better, happy for a while. I understand that loss takes a while, but how long before the hurt will be gone?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 15, 2014, 11:52 PM
    Until you decide to move forward with your life and realize that she doesn't control your happiness. The longer you sit around thinking of how wonderful she is, the longer it will take you to get over this. Forget her and move forward.
    mashiat Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2014, 01:08 AM
    The more you try to forget her the more will it remind you of her.. So, throw everything you have that relates to her or remind you of her... mingle with new people, keep yourself preoccupied,hang out more with friends and family... hope this helps (y)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 16, 2014, 01:34 AM
    I'll bet that 21 years is longer than any of us were with someone we loved, but the advice is still good. I still have some grieving in me over my ex and later my dad, with whom I lived in this last years. But as others have said, create a new environment around you. Hang on to a few tokens, but put them in just one box, and throw the rest away. Open it once a year on a certain day. A little ritual like that helps you get your feelings out.
    You are hurting more than you should be after 5 years of her absence, so that means that you aren't doing enough to replace her. Old friends, new friends, interests and hobbies, even some things you relied on her for, like real cooking. If she was a good cook and you are living on frozen dinners, get a cookbook and get to work! Invite some people over to try your newbie attempts.
    And start thinking of your dear doggie as something other than a service dog, unless that service is for something other than depression. I'd suggest another dog or a kitten.
    Keep us posted, OK?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2014, 06:36 AM
    You've been divorced for 5 years... if you are still grieving its time to seek the help of a professional. There is no sense in suffering when help is available and effective. And there is no shame in seeking and getting help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2014, 02:18 AM
    Most people at divorce think hatred and evil toward the other, why feelings of love ?

But the feelings never go away, you just move on with your life ( what you have not done) since it is divorce not death, you put the photos away, stop looking at them, if there are things in house that remind you of her, get rid of it, and start moving forward with life.

Susan has been dead now about 20 years or so, I look at her photo twice a year, and remember the good times, life has to move on

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just married but I miss my first wife so much. [ 16 Answers ]

My first wife Teresa passed May 12, 2004 she was 32. I have a beautiful daughter and son. I remarried Dec 07 because I wanted them to have a good female role model and my new wife is wonderful in every way. She is a paramedic, loves my children and loves me very much. I do care deeply about her...

A doctor wife and a book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother and the wife [ 0 Answers ]

Book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother. The wife who is bored sexually has some fun with the mother and her famous band playing boyfriend.

I miss him.does he miss and love me too? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I broke up about a month ago now. We talk everyday whether it is online or through text. We do not talk on the phone but even while dating we didn't. He is just not a phone person. Well when we broke up it was all his choice. He said that there were things about me that he...

What would cause my 99 Taurus to miss, and then run great, miss etc etc? [ 4 Answers ]

It will idle up to about 2000 rpm, runs fine, starts coming down, running good, drop to 700/800 rpm, starts spuddering, does not kill. And I am hearing a loud hiss, like there is a vacume leak, somewhere between the engine and the fire wall.

View more questions Search