Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2014, 07:58 PM
    School teacher deductions
    My wife is teaching 4 year olds right now... spends about 3,000 a year on stuff.. paper.. all the stuff kids use... books that's she buys.. laminating stuff for bulletin boards.. wall posters... all sorts o odds and ends some games and puzzles all geared for teaching the kids .do you think that about 2,500 would be questioned under job expenses and miscellaneous
    Thank you... rihard
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2014, 08:51 PM
    Do you have documents to backup the costs?
    Claim all bonafide expenses. There are no magic numbers that IRS looks for.

This is an excerpt from a Forbes article on the subject:
    "Teachers do get a limited tax break on their returns, but it's not momentous. The first $250 of deductions for expenses paid for books, supplies, computer or other equipment and supplementary materials used by eligible teachers is subtracted from their gross income. See Section 62(a)(2)(D). Any substantiated expenses after the first $250 that relate to a taxpayer's employment as a teacher can be deducted as unreimbursed employee expenses. See Section 62(a)(2)(D).

However, it's not enough for the supplies to simply be helpful to the students and appropriate for the classroom. They must also be directly related to the taxpayer's job as a teacher. They must even be a necessary expense of being a teacher. See Welch v. Helvering and Wheatland v. Commissioner.
    These are high standards and Ms. Farias couldn't meet them. Sure, she produced receipts for supplies totaling $9,361, but she couldn't prove much else other than that
    How much did the IRS allow of her more than $9,000 in expenses? $581.59. Ouch.
    Critically, there was no evidence the school actually required her to purchase the candy or the savings bond. These expenses were not necessary to her job. No matter how well intentioned they were, gifts to students are not deductible as business expenses. "
    From: Teacher's Tax Trouble: No Tax Deductions For Supplies - Forbes

(The title -like some newspaper headlines---in the link comes out misleading; The article itself doesn't say NO Deductions for Supplies)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2014, 08:53 PM
    You can deduct $250 as an adjustment to income.

The rest of the expenses are valid deductions, but it requires that you itemize your deductions.

Do you own a home on which you are paying a mortgage?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 16, 2014, 09:49 AM
    ATE: does this deduction apply to daycare/peschool teachers? I always thought it only applies to K-12 teachers.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2014, 09:53 AM
    TaxForAliens:

You are correct! It IS only for K through 12th grade, and NOT for pre-school. My mistake!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Primary school teacher in my first year. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you can help me out on the pay I'm intitaled to, I'm in my first year at a primary school. I've done my master of teaching and on step 5 salary level. Can you please tell me the gross amount, before and after tax Kind regards Stephanie El

Teacher wear school uniform to school-Pros & Cons please [ 2 Answers ]

Welll... I'm going to have a inter class debating soon and got to have some pros and cons for preparation. Can u guys help please? Thanks a lot.

Would You Date A Teacher at Your child's School? [ 8 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone would date a teacher at their child's school?

Pre-school teacher [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to be really smart to be a pre school teacher?

View more questions Search