Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanne524 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2014, 10:59 AM
    Replacing a ceiling fan with a ceiling fan and light
    I would like to replace my plain ceiling fan with a nicer one with lights. Do I have to hire an electrician to put in new wiring? There is no remote with it.
    Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 14, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Do I have to hire an electrician to put in new wiring?
    That depends on your present wiring and how you want the new fan/light to work.

If your present fan can be turned on and off with a wall switch and you want the new fan/light to be controlled by the pull chains, you will not need to change any wiring. If you want the light of the new fan/light to be turned on and off by the switch and the fan to be controlled by the pull chain, you may need to make wiring changes. It depend on how things are wire now.

Remove the switch. If the switch has only one cable with one black and one white wire, you can install the new fan/light and have the switch turn the light on and off with the switch and use the pull chain to turn the fan on and off. You can also do that if the switch has one cable with a black and white wire and also has one cable with a black, white and a red wire.

If the switch has two cables, each with a black and white wire, you will not be able to turn the light on and off with the switch and have the fan operate. You would have to have the switch on all the time and use the pull chains for the fan and the light.

Remove the switch and tell us what wires you see.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2014, 01:00 PM
    Chances are slim that you have the right number of wires going to the light as it sit now. You can get a new fan with a remote or one with pull chains

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing ceiling fan with ceiling light [ 19 Answers ]

Replaced ceiling fan and light kit with a ceiling fixture. The fan had a black, white and red wire. The new light has black and white only. The light is controlled from two switches one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. I connected the black and white wires and capped the red wire....

Replacing ceiling fan with light. [ 2 Answers ]

There are 8 wires: 4 black together, 3 white together, 1 single white. From 4 different coax. The fan was hot at all times. The light was on 2 different switches. I am stuck.

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Replacing Fan and Light Switches on Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

My ceiling fan was disassembled by someone else to replace the light and fan switches. I have purchased new switches but need wiring diagram or picture so my son can put it back together. Wouldn't have been a problem if I was the one who took it apart! Step by step directions would be a big help,...

Replacing ceiling fan with light fixture [ 15 Answers ]

We removed an old ceiling fan. In the ceiling box, we have 3 white wires and 3 black wires. The room has only one light switch, but in the hallway, there is a light switch that operates the hallway light. We have tried different combinations. But what happens most of the time is that the light...

View more questions Search