Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2014, 12:20 PM
    Shut AC down when Exterior door is opened?
    Have a customer that wants the AC shut Down when a door is opened.
    My first thoughts are, To have a delay of 20? Seconds, so if a door is opened for less than 20 or whatever seconds, the system will remain on and uninterrupted. Over 20 or what ever timer set for to shut down AC Blower, If a Delay off on blower, then A 2 pole contactor to Interrupt the thermostat power and Blower Motor Between the delay relay and Blower Motor. Then I want to have a Delay On so the Compressor does not go off and right back on with the Head pressure, what is a minimum time to keep off before restarting.
    Planning on using an alarm panel for the door contacts and a programmable output to follow a door opening, Starting the process.
    Any Ideas, Similar Systems.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2014, 12:46 PM
    Sorry Stratmando no ideas, but I'm curious how it turns out if you don't mind posting.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2014, 08:52 PM
    Could be done with a pin switch breaking power to the thermostat. You would have to have a thermostat with a delay of 5 minutes or so in allowing the A/C to come back on lest you damage the compressor.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2015, 08:24 AM
    Haven't been back for a while. Have had system up and running for a while. I used a DSC 1832 Alarm Control Panel. Grouped all Perimeter doors to provide a Programmable Output, then into a Timer, first Timer was an Altronix with a Potentiometer which was difficult to get an accurate Time, So I went with the Digital Altronix, I believe a 6062, Works fine, was set for 3 minutes, increased to 5 Minutes at Owners request. Since I installed an Alarm Panel for this, I also Connected The Heats and smokes, to Shut Down AC if either is detected. No Smoke blown through the house and no air to feed the Fire.
    Usually you can just break the red(power to thermostat)to shut down, problem was this is a Network Thermostat and needs constant power to keep from having to reboot. Going to use a 3 pole relay(Break Blower, Compressor and Heat wire from Thermostat. Tried using relay to simulate The Door switch and a relay to disconnect the Compressor contactor wire, Not working as desired. Customer is only down occasionally. When customer is down next time, the 3 pole relay will be installed, should solve any remaining issues. Thanks

Gradywhite, You are correct about the delay on for the Head Pressure, at the moment the delay "appears?" to be built in. Will test after relay install. Will add a delay on if needed. Thanks for your input.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2015, 08:30 AM
    Thanks for the update. Great idea to tie the heat & smoke detectors into the system. Nearly all digital stats have a compressor delay built in. Just thought I'd mention the delay in my original relply as a heads up.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 07:13 AM
    Grady White, I did Install the 3 Pole Contactor. Even though the Thermostat has a delay, It does not know to delay as it "thinks it is still on", So I added a Delay on Make Timer to provide the Delay. Works Perfect. Was simple with old thermostats, only needed to disconnect red. Network Thermostats need to have continuous power.
    Take Care.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2016, 07:25 AM
    Also on this system, I have about 7 Hardwired, 8 wireless water sensors, and if any detect a leak, a 1" Ball Valve closes within 2 seconds. An Elk WSV2
    Also been in system a while now and has been triggered when a toilet supply line let loose. All has been working well. Take Care
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2016, 02:19 AM
    Very impressive, thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer continues when door is opened [ 1 Answers ]

The dryer continues running when door is opened.

Roper dryer stays running for 3 hours ,when opened the door to shut off tried to turn [ 1 Answers ]

Roper dryer stays running for 3 hours ,when opened the door to shut off tried to turn back on and it want start any ideas thanks mark

How do I turn light on in garage when door is opened? [ 1 Answers ]

My Genie garage door opener is old and the circuit board that controls the light coming on and going off has gone bad. So while the door opens and closes just fine, The two light bulbs do not light. I checked around and they are not making the circuit board that I need which is 27504R, is not...

Garage Door Opened On It's Own [ 2 Answers ]

I have a quick question about my garage opener. I was sitting home yesterday when I heard my garage open on it's own. I went down stairs no one was there and I did not see anyone on the street. I guess my question is should I be worried? Was this some random thing or was someone driving by...

View more questions Search