Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 03:01 PM
    Double sinks both fill, slow drain, leak underneath...
    Just purchased a new house has double sinks in the bathroom - when you use 1, after about 30 seconds of water running, it starts filling up, after about 1 min of water running, the other sink starts filling - I did a draino treatment the other day, seems to be draining a bit quicker (still takes like 20 minutes for a complete drain), but still am having problems with the other sink filling, and have realized it is leaking underneath (the spot where the metal pipe meets the pvc pipe is where water is collecting and spilling over) I will purchase more draino and do another treatment of that - any thoughts on if this is more than just a clog? (just fyi - yes, I'm standing on the toilet to get the picture of both sinks, and yes, I know that the coral countertop and floral wallpaper can no longer live together, only one will survive - haven't decided which one yet ;) ) The second picture is under the sink on the left, the third picture is under the sink on the right.
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  60.1 KBName:  023.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  46.9 KBName:  022.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  47.0 KB
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Cute socks too!! And a cast iron sink! I would guess hair clogs, common on bath sinks. Although I don't recommend liquid cleaners because of their corrosive nature, you may want to try again. I would also go to HD or Lowe's and get a ZIP-IT. You can slide it around the pop up, down the drain and be amazed of what it will pull out. Tighten the plastic and metal nuts under the sinks. If necessary, you can take out the traps and clean them manually. You may also have to use a small auger to clean out the piping in the wall. All of the suggestions are easy DIY projects.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Okay! I find myself realizing what the true cost of home ownership is - there is no 'calling the landlord' any longer. Thank goodness I work for an electrical contracting company, have already had a breaker replaced, and some outlets installed free of charge. Plumbing, however, is a whole other thing. I have a friend who has offered the use of a 'snake' thing - I'll take him up on it and we'll see what is dredged out of pipes... the sinks are cast iron? Guess I didn't notice - that's a good thing? So I'm guessing the exposed sink is ceramic and the 'casing' of it is cast iron?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 04:06 PM
    In addition to the above response...

I see you have cast iron drain fittings. Also both sinks combine in Double "Y" fitting inside the wall, meaning, they share common drain. Since your sinks back up so quickly, the blockage will be right inside the wall and in the common pipe. Take 1/4" snake, remove the white tubular drain under sink and snake it from one side.

Moreover, looking at your photos, it seems to me you have black 1 1/2" nipples ( one under each sink ) between the fitting and PVC pipe. If that's so, and while you're there, replace. Otherwise, it will eventually become another problem.

Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 04:34 PM
    Since one sink can backfill into the other sink and they do not have a common drain or trap your clog is further down inside the drain line. I would remove the chrome nut ring between the PVC and cast iron pipe and rod directly into the drain line, you might go several feet. You are probably too far downstream for a zipit to help but that is the normal starting point
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 06:34 AM
    Remove the traps from both sinks and snake the drain(s) into the wall.

You should not have to snake more than 5-10 feet at a maximum to get to the problem area (where both sink drains join a common drain pipe). Snake the drain in and out 3 or 4 times and then put one trap back and put HOT water into the sink. If water goes down even a little, keep running hot water going down the sink/drain while you snake through the other drain a little bit more....this will really help clear the drain pipe now!

If the snake just shows up at the other sink when you are snaking the drain then you have a CROSS fitting in the wall and you will either need to rent a snake with a DROP HEAD tip, or you may need to get access into the common sink VENT!!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs sinks extremely slow to drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! We have a 2-story house with 2 bathrooms upstairs (one with double sinks). All 3 upstairs sinks (MB1, MB2, UB) have suddenly become very slow to drain (at least 20 minutes for half a bowl full of water), one toilet became clogged, and one overflowed without reason. The master bath is...

Vessel sinks slow drain? [ 5 Answers ]

I have installed two vessel sinks in our bathroom vanity. The drain is just and open type and there is no overflow. The sinks drain very slow, If I allow the water to raise half way or more it takes a few minutes to drain? Can this be improved? Lee in Nevada

All sinks, washer, and tub are slow to drain [ 3 Answers ]

Currently the sink is backing up. I just used the garbage disposal and put some spagetti noodles down. Then water backed up in the sink and also in the dishwasher. I checked the pee trap for clogs. I just put in new pee trap last month. Also new garbage disposal and dishwasher. In...

Slow drain both toilets, sinks, everything [ 2 Answers ]

I am fearing that in an effort to save time, I plugged up the mainline. I flushed some clumping kitty litter. It plugged the toilet. I plunged it like a hundred times. It freed. Fine for a couple days. Then, toilets fill up, don't go down right away. In the upstairs bathroom, if you...

View more questions Search