Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student2worker Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
    How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund?
    The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians.

International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India

I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote:

"2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of 1040NR-EZ or Line 11 of 1040NR even if you received a refund of state taxes."

Why is this so?

Is this only for those who are still in F1 visa or can it be used for those who changed status to H1B but are still non-residents for tax purposes?
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by student2worker
    The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians.

International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India

I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote:

"2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of 1040NR-EZ or Line 11 of 1040NR even if you received a refund of state taxes."

Why is this so?

Is this only for those who are still in F1 visa or can it be used for those who changed status to H1B but are still non-residents for tax purposes?

This is true for everyone. It's called the tax benefit rule.
    student2worker Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Thanks Texas Tax Expert.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

India-US tax treaty [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I entered the US on an F-1 in July 2006, and was resident in India prior to that. Previously, I had visited briefly in Feb 2006 on a B-1/B-2 visa. While using the Cintax software to calculate my returns for 2006, it does not deduct the standard deduction for 2006 ($5,150) for me, though it...

Tax refund and Treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full...

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

View more questions Search