Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktimerding Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 02:06 AM
    Does strep throat cause mucus buildup and cough?
    I went to the doctor yesterday for nausea, sore throat, headache, wet cough and post-nasal drip/congestion and I had a rapid strep test done that came back very positive. I'm on antibiotics now, but I'm just wondering about the cough and mucus and congestion? Because I was under the impression that the difference between a cold virus and strep bacteria is whether you have cold-like symptoms (cough & congestion). So why the cough with strep throat?

Also, I still have no fever and I generally do not run fevers when I get sick so I was wondering if that means anything. I've heard of a lack of fevers being notable of suppressed immune systems or the likes.

Just curious. Thanks for any help.
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Jan 12, 2014, 02:34 AM
    I'm not so versed in this (you'll have to wait for someone else for that), but the Mayo Clinic does not list mucus or cough as a symptom of strep throat, Strep throat Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic .
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 03:58 AM
    The body produces a fever to ward of micro-organisms that cause infections. That is the fail safe. There could be any number of reasons you do not get fevers, does not mean the immune system is compromised as in a diabetic condition.
    ktimerding Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Went to the ER today (because the doctor's office was closed, otherwise would have just gone to see primary care doctor again) and turns out along with the strep throat I also have upper respiratory infection so I guess that explains that. Thanks. Also I ended up running a fever today, just turns out that my normal body temperature is a little low so by the time I hit 99 I'm feverish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mucus Buildup In Throat and other problems, Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I have so much mucus in my throat! I can't get it out. I've tried warm salt water gargle, running, warm bath, water, juice, and just regular hot water. Nothing works! I can't stand it.. 3 years ago during Easter I got strept throat and them it went away and then 2 weeks after that I got...

Sore throat and itchy ears and it hurts really hurts been having a cough and mucus [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sore throat and been having itchy ears and I'm starting to get mucus and my throat feels swollen, what can I do I have amoxcillin.. will it help me out with my sickness? And I sneeze a lot. Its been going on for two days.

Strep throat [ 1 Answers ]

I took my girl to the ER yesterday they said she has strep I gave her medicine at 9 last night and now she has a fever of 40.0 should I take to the ER or should I give her some fever medicine.

Sore throat and itchy ears and it hurts really hurts been having a cough and mucus [ 4 Answers ]

It started with just a sore throat and the next day it was again sore but now it started to hurt when I swallow, now my ears have been itching and so does my throat and there is pain. On my right ear I really can't hear and my throat is really red and I feel it swollen like if its going to close,...

I have strep throat. [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have it. I don't know

View more questions Search