Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LegCramps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2014, 08:33 AM
    Can't connect to WPA2 with netbook, XP, SP3?
    Hi all,

I've got a problem connecting my netbook to WPA2 networks.

I am getting strong wireless signal but my wireless network connection can't acquire a network address - it just tries and tries without success.

I have updated the drivers for the wireless card and have also used a wireless usb adapted which I know works on a different laptop (same drivers). I am currently using the usb stick on that laptop and it connects fine. Another thing is that the wireless card and usb on the netbook will connect quite happily to an unsecured network I found in the area. This makes me think it is software rather then hardware (P.S. I know very little about networking).

I have tried older versions of the drivers too and uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it from device manager but to no avail.

I have also tried the KB893357 file update for WPA2, but it says everything is up to date and doesn't install.

I'm stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated!

My computer:
    IBM ThinkPad X31
    Windows XP Pro (Version 2002) SP 3
    Wireless Card: 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter
    Driver file installed: 77wc39ww

Thanks in advance.
    Additional Details

Thanks for answer.
    I guess that means the inbuilt network car is out.
    I know the usb wireless device works with its drivers though, as it is what I am using on a different laptop currently.

Can anyone think of a reason the usb adapter wouldn't work on the netbook, and a workaround?

Cheers.

Check out some similar questions!

"cannot connect sylvania Windows CE netbook to wireless router" [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me, just got it and have tried everything

My Advent NetBook won't connect to the Internet. [ 0 Answers ]

My advent netbook has never received my Orange Livebox wirelessly, though it has done others perfectly well. It is not the Livebox because it works with other computers in the home. Until recently, I had to use an ethenet cable to use internet on the netbook, but now even that's stopped working and...

Bsod - win xp sp3 [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, I have two very serious problems on my Toshiba, Satellite M45 laptop running Win XP Home - SP3. A) Problem one is being taken care of by Toshiba. The AC to DC transformer caox cable to the PC frayed open and shorted the power to the shield. Battery went dead, the insulation on...

MS SP3 how to unintsall [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unable to uninstall MS SP3 so that I can also unistall IE8. When I go add/remove, SP#3 does not give me the option to uninstall which, I understand must be done in order to uninstall IE8. Can u hlp me?

Windows XP SP3 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if anyone having this problem, each time it promp high priority update windows xp SP3, and when the up date is finish I try to installed the update I have tried it about 6 times and each time it comes up fail. My Operating system is XP Professional with SP2, Anyone...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.