Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 11:11 PM
    Rascal the poop
    So Mogrann and her husband are here, and Rascal is being a butt head. He's barking non stop at them. It's like he's afraid of them, but that makes no sense.

He's fine if we're all sitting for a while, talking, but as soon as we get up, it's bark bark bark, backing away, like he's afraid.

He really has no reason to fear them. At first I thought that he'd settle, and in an hour or so he'd be okay, but here it is 11pm, they've been here for hours, and he's still acting like this.

I'm at a loss. I've never seen him behave this way.

I do have to point out, none of my other friends have dogs, or cats. Is it possible that it's because he smells Owen and the cats on Mogrann and her husband?

Some advice would be nice, because the barking is getting old fast.
    timboslice222 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2014, 11:44 PM
    Try to get something to occupy him or put him in a room with just them and you leave.. dogs are naturally trusting of humans and unless abused will lighten up but the cat smell would make him curious but not anxious
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 12:30 AM
    I disagree as he is looking to his pack leader for reassurance not to be isolated with strangers. That could end up with a bite or making the dog stay fearful
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 06:18 AM
    Perhaps something appearance wise is throwing him off. Things like short hair vs. long hair, glasses vs. no glasses, hat vs. no hat, facial hair vs. clean shaven.
    We have one dog who acted this way with a particular friend, never anyone else.
    This friend was black and very tall, not at all what he was accustomed to and this guy was in his house. I don't know, but it's a thought.
    Have a good visit.
    Pets Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 05:56 PM
    He's getting a bit better, much better than he was yesterday, but still barking every once in a while. It's definitely fear, and trepidation, but why, I don't know. This is definitely not my dog.

He'll come up, sniff the hand, lick, take treats, and get pets, and then suddenly back off and bark. It's strange.

I bet by tomorrow he'll be fine, as they're leaving. Sigh.
    Pets Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 03:17 PM
    Try to get something to occupy him or put him in a room with just them and you leave.. dogs are naturally trusting of humans and unless abused will lighten up but the cat smell would make him curious but not anxious
    Timboslice, I didn't address your reply before, because it really wasn't worth me taking the time to respond to when I had long awaited guests over. I would like to address it now, because it worries me that you seem to think you have expertise on dogs. Your advice was flat out ridiculous.

You suggested that I put a fearful dog in a room with what he's afraid of? Do you want to provoke an attack, or give him a reason to be afraid?

Dogs are not naturally trusting of all humans, even if they've never been abused, which Rascal never was. It takes time with some dogs. Apparently Rascal is one of those dogs, and truth told, I should have seen this coming. He's afraid of so many things, cars, walks, anything he sees on a walk. But he's never had a problem with people. I'm blaming myself for this, because now that I look back on it all, there are things I should have done differently when my guests arrived. I should have introduced them differently, and that could have made all the difference.

But abuse, no. All dogs trusting humans, no. All dogs being curious about cats and not anxious, no Your post shows that you know nothing about dogs, and really shouldn't be answering questions in this forum. You may notice my status. I'm the pet expert on this site. If you're going to post on one of my questions about my pets, you better know more than me, and be able to back up what you say. You're not talking to someone that's never had a dog, so your bad advice really doesn't cut it with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rascal will be one soon [ 9 Answers ]

Well, Rascal is all grown up. As of right now he's still on puppy food, but he'll be turning one in a few weeks. We always put our dogs on adult dog food once they turned one. When we took him to the vet about his limp, she advised us to keep him on puppy food for at least the first 2 years. ...

Rascal is limping again! [ 28 Answers ]

I started a thread a while back about Rascal limping. The limp went away and all was well for a while. Well, for the last 2 months he's been limping on and off. I felt his leg, no swelling, he doesn't mind it being touched, but he still limped. Finally, after a lot of debate with my...

Rascal has a limp. [ 25 Answers ]

So Rascal hurt his leg. Don't know how. I wouldn't call it a limp, but he's favoring the leg. It's not swollen, no noticeable scratches or cuts. I think he twisted it while he and Chewy were playing. I called the vet, she said not to bring him in, just to let him rest, no walks, etc. etc. which is...

I have a 3 yr old mini schnauzer that eats poop and also will poop/pee in the house [ 3 Answers ]

He seems to get too distracted outside by birds, squirels, and or whatever else. How can I work on these annoying traits, otherwise he's a wonderful temperament dog.

My yorkie has Poop blocking him to poop. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my 10 week old Yorkie was trying to poop like 5 times in a roll, he was trying real hard and I noticed that there was nothing to pick up. He did the same thing serval times. I looked at his anal and there is hard poop that is blocking him to poop. What do I do? :confused:

View more questions Search