Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcintosh18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2014, 06:48 PM
    A nurse discussed my medical problems in front of other patients and staff members.
    A nurse discussed my medical problems in front of other patients and staff members. I made a complaint with the hospital. Can I sue them?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2014, 06:55 PM
    Of course - you can sue anyone. Will you win any damages? Highly unlikely. Basically zero. Rounding up testimony will be very difficult, for starters, and proving that the discussion was anything other than normal decibel level close to other patients will be even more difficult. Other staff are expected to hear about your medical condition - you have no right to privacy there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 07:47 PM
    You really don't go into detail about your situation. Detail is necessary.

Was it shift change and the nurse you had giving report to the oncoming nurse and visitors were in the area? Were the visitors even paying attention to what the nurses were saying?

Was your name used or your room number?

One thing about hospitals is that there is very little privacy. Most of us nurses, when giving report at shift change and other times, refer to our patients by their room number rather than their name.

Can you sue? You can try because anyone can sue for anything. Is it a winable case? No because it's not medical malpractice. It may be a HIPAA violation, but without further details from you I can't determine whether it is. With HIPAA you can't sue and win damage money, but rather the hospital and/or nurse involved will get reprimanded and possibly fined.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2014, 08:20 PM
    What? Do you think you will get some big payday out of this? Why is your first inclination to sue? What damages did you incur? Did anyone know you in that area?

Do you understand that a large part of the high cost of health care is the high cost of liability insurance? Because of people like you who immediately think about filing suit.

AS the others have noted, you can file suit over anything. But the likelihood of winning such a suit is small. In fact, I think you will be hard pressed to find an attorney to even take it on.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 08:33 PM
    Do you understand that a large part of the high cost of health care is the high cost of liability insurance? Because of people like you who immediately think about filing suit.
    Bravo! Thank you Scott. I don't even want to go into how much my med/mal insurance costs me yearly because of people like this.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2014, 09:26 PM
    You can sue anyone you want. What really needs to happen in this country is that you, as a claimant, particularly in a case like this, should be required to pay all the legal defense costs if you lose . What harm occurred? Look up the definition of a Tort.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 03:50 PM
    Did she name you when she discussed the medication condition, if so, you can file a HIPAA complaint but law suit is a waste. How To File a Complaint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question for a nurse manager: what do you usually do to motivate workers/staff? [ 0 Answers ]

This is related to Leadership Management in Nursing, under the different management and motivation theories. It is imperative that we interview real nurses with some experience on management.

Medical condition and medication discussed without permission. Is this a violation? [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor discussed my medical conditions and all of the medications I am currently taking with family members, very loudly in the hallway, without my permission. Has cause major with my family. Is there anything I can do about it.

Is it against HIPPA if a nurse takes home a patients chart to finish paperwork? [ 4 Answers ]

This is a Home Health Agency. I have heard that a nurse was carrying in a lot of loose papers and a gust of wind came up and blew numerous notes and patient plan of cares all over the place. Someonme found one of these and turned them in. They were fined nearly $20,000.00. Can the Administrator...

Patients Medical Records [ 7 Answers ]

We have a doctors office that is refusing to give patients their medical records what are their rights and what can they do to get them released over to the patient?

Should elderly patients be cared for by family members or by health professionals? [ 8 Answers ]

Here is what I think about this subject, please tell me your thoughts on this matter? I personally feel that the family should care for the elderly family member that is no longer able to care for themselves fully. The majority of elderly ones are able to do lot more for themselves in a family...

View more questions Search