Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Just to give plumbing experts a nightmare
    Name:  IMG_20140110_132629.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  139.2 KB

Friend was having trouble with a drain being blocked. Here is the drain going to the city sewer. And the sewer.

This is a small rural village, things not same around the world
    Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 08:48 AM
    Attachment 45454
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2014, 10:15 AM
    Am I looking at a house. Sewer discharge the into a open trench? What's the location of this code violation? Back to you, Tom
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 12:45 PM
    This is in China? LOL...things are different there for sure.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 07:25 PM
    The brick work, the stucco, the pipe - all look "foreign" to me... To poster: what's the location ? Thank you. Milo
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 07:27 PM
    Fr_Chuck is in China.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 07:30 PM
    O' my... that explains... :)

FYI: Open sewers are extremely unhealthy situation. There was an experiment done in a small town somewhere in south Italy about 100 years ago. They put sewer underground - and in 2 generations, life expectancy almost doubled

Thanks for sharing ...

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 08:04 PM
    I think Fr_Chuck knows this is unhealthy! I think he posted it,
    Just to give plumbing experts a nightmare
    Awesome stuff and what a great experience you must be having! I am grateful I am exactly where I am!!

Thanks for posting it!!

Mark
    Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 04:57 AM
    Yes, plumbing is a lot different, I have to redo my drains anytime maintaince works on it. They do not put traps in the drains, the sinks just go straight into the drain.

I have to go out and buy longer flex pipes and make a trap for all the sinks.

Plus a one way valve for the floor drains.

But yes, I should have shown the ditch where all the sewage goes. LOL.

We do have regular sewer pipes, but they are not dependable, you are not suppose to ever flush toilet paper. They keep trash cans next to toilet for the paper. Only the human waste goes down drain, no paper. So you can believe how bad the bathrooms smell.

But those photos was a small country villiage. So there are no codes, no inspectors and these were actually good sewers since most were covered with concreate plates, I just happened to see a open area. Except of course where it goes out.
    Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 05:24 AM
    Oh, yes, I forgot, not everyone knows I am in Central China, and travel to small farms and villages all the time.

Ok, I mentioned toilet. I used that word very flexible. Here is the photo of a Chinese toilet. You do not sit on it, just squat over it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 03:33 PM
    We do have regular sewer pipes, but they are not dependable, you are not suppose to ever flush toilet paper. They keep trash cans next to toilet for the paper
    Some years ago, the wife and I took a Mediterranean cruse, last stop was Venice, Italy. While at a glass blowing demonstration I had to visit the men's room. There a sign was posted, "Do not put tissue in toilet, use waste paper basket". OK, but I wondered why?

Later, when on the gondola ride, I notice all these pipes sticking buildings with water flowing. Then I understood why you didn't put paper in the toilet. Most of the gondola ride was in the canals between the rear of the buildings.

Some guy sitting behind us said;
    "I wonder where their sewers are?"
    I said;
    "You are riding in it".
    He said;
    "Oh no, I've been dragging my hands in it".
    Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 09:55 PM
    Name:  IMG_20140111_162523.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  101.8 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing nightmare [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Drayton Lifestyle LP241 independent hot water and central heating timer, Now the heating comes on with the hot water (on the timer) even when the heating is on the off position. Is it the timer or something else? Regards Dave Davies

Basement plumbing and planning nightmare [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on finsishing my basement this year complete with a kitchen and a bathroom. Of course the sewer line is 3ft above the floor. I figured that I would use the Little Giant sewer ejection system. By what is advertised on the site is that the Little Giant system should be able to handle...

Basement plumbing nightmare [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1940's home that needs regular tree root removal from the exterior sewer drain. Having just done so, I was surprised when the basement drains were backing up again two weeks later. Called in plumber who opened the main clean out and informed me that it was indeed backed up again. Even...

Tips and Answers from our Plumbing Experts [ 3 Answers ]

Under construction.

View more questions Search