Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2014, 08:35 AM
    Photo shop ?
    A few of you know that I am not really a computer person. A person took some photos of my son, and put them in different backgrounds, added hearts, and more.

Is there a free program that I can try things like that. I thought it would be fun to do funny or romantic things with some photos.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2014, 10:01 AM
    This maight be exactly what you are looking for: Easily Remove Image Backgrounds Online - Clipping Magic

It removes the background. You'll have to use another program that does layers to add that pic to the background of your choice. I like the free Paint.net personally.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 10, 2014, 11:31 AM
    When I first started playing with photos I bought Photoshop Elements 1.0 and it was really great to play with. I eventually got 2.0 and I have stuck with it over the years even after trying the trials of the later versions. The Elements versions are much simpler (and less expensive) than the full Photoshop. I think they're around version 12 now and it costs around $100. If your lucky you might find an older one on e-bay or something from someone who keeps buying new and wants to sell the older versions. That way you get a legitimate serial to use and maybe an instruction booklet too. Elements 1.0 came with a big book 3/4 of an inch thick (ah the old days). Something like that never grows old, I use 2.0 on Vista and there was no such thing as Vista when it came out.
    Expert

Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 PM
    Thanks, no eBay here in China, although they sell a lot. And programs here are (yes, you guessed it) in chinese, so impossible to use, since I do not read chinese well.

But thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 12, 2014, 02:38 PM
    Fr. Chuck,

There are two sites I would recommend. Tucows.com/downloads/ You can search for either "Freeware" or "Shareware". Also Cnet.com.

You might want to take a look at "Faststone" It's a nice application.

Jan 14, 2014, 06:44 PM
    OK, you should be able to download paint.net or gimp and find a few tutorials for what you want to do with some creative searching. They're both free and paint.net which is open source is a little easier but less extensive in what it can do. From what you described you will want to learn both what the tools on the side do and how to make and use layers. If you try and draw a heart for instance, it can be quite difficult but if the app has a shape tool you can look through the shapes for a heart. Select the heart, put your cursor near where you want it, press the left mouse button and drag the shape to size. Then select the move tool and put it precisely where you want. The move tool also lets you size and rotate items. The heart will end up what ever color you have selected in the background color (I think, there are two, foreground as well). Layers are like having a cartoon cell that's transparent over another background cell which is not, and when you select one it gets edited or changed without disturbing the other and you can swap between them. Somewhere you can select "add layer or new layer" and what you do there (hearts or frame or both) doesn't effect the background picture. End of basic lesson... and I know It Sucks!
    Expert

Jan 14, 2014, 11:24 PM
    I will make a note, I used the Tucows ( OK I had used them before for other things.) This time I got so many other items downloaded, I had to take computer to shop yesterday to get it cleaned up.

No idea why it happened, and never got the program I wanted.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2014, 06:36 AM
    Always, always get the programs from the developers' website. For Paint.net it's Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

I've mentioned it before but my favorite place to get free peer-reviewed software is Gizmo's Freeware | Find the best freeware fast I am in no way affiliated with them.

Jan 19, 2014, 11:21 AM
    Another good safe site is Filehippo FileHippo.com - Download Free Software or Download Paint.NET 3.5.11 - FileHippo.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the closest free software to photo shop [ 3 Answers ]

I really want something free

GIMP2 photo manipulation--Need to modify text [labels] from a saved photo image. [ 0 Answers ]

GIMP2 photo manipulation software Is there an easy way to modify text on a photo image that was saved with the labels on it. Thanks.

View more questions Search