Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Vent on kitchen sink
    Hello Y'all - I am new to the site. Does anyone know what the "vent" is called that is on the kitchen sink. It makes a noise when the dishwasher is going! :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Your dishwasher discharges into your disposal or a branch tailpiece located directed under the drain. You're will always hear some noise when it discharges.
    If a kitchen vent were clogged you would hear a "gurgle" from the trap.
    Is this a noise that just started up? If so describe it. Do you hear it when the sink drains? Back to you, Tom

Apr 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
    No...It just makes the "normal" noises. I just need to know what the cover is called. I bought a new faucet and it is a brushed nickel color instead of chrome. I need to know if I can find one in a brushed nickel!!! Everything has to match!!! So if I find out what it is called I can see if it comes in different colors! Do you know the name of it? Thanks for responding so quickly.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
    It is just called a dishwasher vent. They come in chrome, plastic, etc... but I haven't seen any real fancy finishes. Try Lowe's, they are a bit more high end than HD.

Apr 1, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Thanks for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Sorry Bal but it's not called a dishwasher vent. It's called a dishwasher air gap. Also sorry to you too sdbryson, the word vent through my answer off.
    Click on; Air Gaps for dishwashers and water softeners and scroll down 9 items to find a dishwasher air gap #AIRCAGP-BRN in brushed/satin nickel finish for $19.95 Regards, Tom

Apr 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
    That's it.....that is what I needed. Thanks so much for your help.:D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Tom is 100% correct, the term is air gap not vent. However, I might save you $17. Sounds like you already have an air gap so you don't need the entire kit. You can buy just the cap for $2.69 at Menards, brushed satin too. If Menards has it I'm sure the larger box stores will carry them too.

Apr 1, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Thank you so much... we don't have a Menards... I'll check at Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware. Again, thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condo kitchen sink vent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, I am a designer and working on remodeling a condominium in a three-story building. My clients want to eliminate a wall in their kitchen, but in that wall there is the vent stack for the kitchen sink and dishwasher – theirs and of the ones below (the condominium is on the third...

Kitchen Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

View more questions Search