Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahcsy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Standard deduction for non-resident?
    I have a few tax questions and would very much appreciate if AtlantaTaxExpert and other people with similar tax experience and expert knowledge share their knowledge.

I am a Canadian citizen, worked in US (Minnesota) with TN-1 status since Nov, 2006. I am single.

1) Am I a non-resident alien (less than 183 days) under substantial prescence test ? I will have to file 1040NR non-resident return and report only US income. Alternatively, I can file Dual-status by first-choice, but according to my situation I have NO benefit filing as dual-status as I am not married and therefore can't claim credit for spouse and children. Is this correct?

2) Can I choose standard deduction or itemized deduction? According to what I read from pub 519, non-resident can only itemize. However, I read a couple other posts that Indian is allowed to claim Standard deduction ($5000) under US-Indian treaty even as a non-resident. (or is standard deduction only for student visa holders?)

3) Do I pay for social security tax and medicare tax as a TN holder? If so, can I claim any credits/deductions/exemptions for the SS, medicare tax I paid when filing my return?

4) is the rule for frederal tax (non-resident and personal exemption and (standard or itemize deductions) ) apply to MN state tax?

Thanks so much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
    1) Yes, you are a non-resident alien. Filing dual-status offers no benenfits.

2) You should claim the itemized deductions. The standard deduction option is available ONLY to Indian students or business apprentices.

3) No, you should NOT pay these taxes.

4) Not sure. Normally, the states require you itemize if you itemized on the federal return, but NOT always. Call the MN tax authorities and ASK!
    sarahcsy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 08:47 PM
    AtlantaTaxExpert:

You said that I should NOT pay Social Security and Medicare tax? How do I claim this back? I am a Canadian, hired by a US empolyer working in US. For work permit, I am holding a one-year TN status.

The SS/Medicare are already deducted in my paycheck. How can I get those back?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
    First, request that your employer refund these taxes.

When he says no (as he probably will), get the refusal in writing, then file Form 843 with a variety of support documents (see pages 42-48 of IRS Pub 519) to request the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Standard and/or itemized deduction [ 2 Answers ]

In 2006, I was a resident of Louisiana between January and August and a resident of Texas between August and December. I know that I can itemize my state income tax in Louisiana. Given that there is no state income tax in Texas, I wonder if I can add sale tax that I paid for a big purchase item in...

F1->H1. Standard deduction? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Tax experts, I'm an indian student on OPT till otober and then converted to H1. Single, no dependents. Can some one clarify my assumptions. I can fill 1040NR EZ form as non resident? I don't have to file dual status tax? Can I use the standard deduction (5150) under Indian...

Regarding $5000 standard deduction.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello ATE & others, I was reading pub501, pub901 and 1040NR-EZ instructions regarding the $5000 exemption for students from India. However, I am unclear about the correct way to report it in 1040NR-EZ. Could you please let me know which of the following is appropriate? 1. Deduct it from total...

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search