Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smcleod01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2014, 03:45 PM
    Fish tank has been cloudy for 8 months...
    My fish tank (a 10g) was setup 8 months ago with cycled water from another 30g freshwater tank. Initially, a couple of fish died, but none have for 4 or 5 months now, however, the water is very cloudy. I vacuum the gravel and clean my filter, and do plenty of water changes, but the cloudy water keeps coming back. I have tried an effective algae cleaner, but have come to the conclusion that it isn't algae. I have used seachem prime during water changes, and always condition the tap water. The Ph is neutral, though I don't have anything to check past that.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 6, 2014, 03:50 PM
    How often are you cleaning and changing the water and to what volume ?
    Also what type of filter are you using and are you giving it time to establish itself ?

My thoughts here are too much cleaning and not enough time to allow good bacteria to flourish and do their job effectively.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 06:26 PM
    Ben is on the right track but I also have to ask how many and what kind of fish are you keeping in this tank?
    DrGuy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2014, 01:08 AM
    Is the cloudiness whitish in color? Does it fade after water changes or at any other time at all? Is it really REALLY cloudy or just a little haziness? If you give the gravel a stir does the water get cloudier? Also as was mentioned earlier knowing what's in the tank would be helpful.

I would do a water change and then cut off feedings for a day or two and see if it begins to clear. If it does my guess would be the tank is overstocked and the filter can't keep up leading to either bacterial growth and/or lots of fine particulate.

solutions to common freshwater aquarium problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 6 Answers ]

I moved into a house last September with a water softener. I have never had one before. I have a 55 gallon freshwater fish tank with 4 bala sharks and 5 silver dollars and 2 small pictus catfish. My tank is so cloudy I can hardly see the fish. I have never had a problem with cloudy water so I...

Cloudy fish tank [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old fish tank,dind a waterchange and introduced new plants. I'm not sure if I added water safe treatement or not. The next day a found the water in my tank had gone cloudy. Waited a couple of days no change, did another water change 20/25% added treatment still no change. Please...

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search