Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Apr 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Puff Puff Pass
    How is drinking beer or wisky justified when smoking pot is illeagal. Beer and liquior contributes to sooooo much destruction of the body, teens, auto accidents, families. Yet it is legal. Pot doesn't impair your ability to drive, or destroy your body like liquior yet it is illegal.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Hello P:

Yeah, bummer Dude. Of course, if it was legal the big corporations would take it over, and you'd have to pay tax on it. Frankly, I like buying it from my local dealer.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Since when doesn't pot impair your driving ability? Beer and whiskey and other spirits used to be illegal - my Grandfather was a bootlegger and saved the farm, thanks to Prohibition. Actually I think making something illegal heightens the desire for it and there is always a way to find and procure it - it being the illegal item. I am all for making pot legal - you can buy it at the local pharmacy or grow your own. Take that scum middle man out of the process and you take away some of the dirt of the world. Use that dirt for fertilizer to grow some marijuana.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Well I still live in a "DRY" county in TN and it is still illegal here, so maybe you should move here and it will all be right with the world.

It is a matter of politics, what people demand, pot smokers have just never gotten a good lobby group, and control enough votes.

But sadly you lose credibility when you say it does not impair, it does, just like booze does, must have been toking on one as you typed.
    But anything is legal or illegal because of laws passed, and laws passed are because of lobby groups and money.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
    It is all the Kennedy Clan's fault!

Daddy Joe got rich as a bootlegger during prohibition. He used some of that money to lobby for change and legalize booze again, along with other bootleggers. Some more of his money was spent on purchasing expensive education for his children. Quite a lot of the wealthy folk and politicians, bought their illegal booze from him. He knew how to make friends and influence people. Good old fashioned American Capitalization at work! Be a good politico and lobby to help your buddies out, here have a drink while you wait, oh and by the way, my sons John F, Ted, etc... would very much like to get into politics, can you help him out? Connections, connections, and more connections.

Okay, as others here have stated in other ways, that is one of the ways booze became legalized once again in the U.S, and why it will always stay legal. Booze is big money. So many corporations make so much money off it they can keep on lobbying to keep it legal.

Ah. If only Joe Kennedy lived in the deep, deep south and owned a plantation. He might very well have grown marijuana and pot might very well have been legal today, instead of booze. But, the guy settled in Massachusetts where mary jane will not flourish outside during those cold winter months. Would have been a bad business decision on his part if he did that. He would have been bankrupt his first year out.

ANYTHING that alters your waking state will impair judgement. As others have stated, pot does impair your driving. It also wreaks havoc with your lungs. Therefore, your statements are inaccurate.

Have a great day! Post more stuff that we can discuss and argue and debate about.
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Apr 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Another reason it won't be legalized anytime soon, in my opinion, is there would be too much importation.
    While the government could tax and maintain tariffs the common american grower could not compete with 3rd world countrys in production.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
    There was a time when pot was legal and booze was illegal. It comes and goes with the politics of the time. By the way, if you smoke pot and drive you will get a DUI just like booze. It does certainly impair you.

Apr 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Ok maybe I gave the weed too much credit as it relates to imparing your ability to drive, but for thoes of you who have smoked weed and dranked before not at the same time I'm sure you can agree that the booze dose a better job of distorting you're your hand eye coordination. Maybe it is just me, but the booze is worse on me than the weed. I'm considering not drinknig anymore, but my wife don't want me to grow my weed what gives
    candacep Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Parajr
    How is drinking beer or wisky justified when smoking pot is illeagal. Beer and liquior contributes to sooooo much destruction of the body, teens, auto accidents, families. Yet it is legal. Pot dosent impair your abilty to drive, or destroy your body like liquior yet it is illegal.
    Yes it does... weed has a different affect on different people me I can't drive smoking weed... just like you can't drink and drive they both f up your state of mind... that is why smoking weed is illegal and drinking is for people who can handle it and if you can't I suggest you shouldn't drink...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Believe me weed will, but it does it differently than boose ( I grew up in the 60's and 70's and beleve me I know. But with both, they effect everyone differently also. ( and maybe you have not had good weed either)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Ok maybe I gave the weed too much credit as it relates to imparing your ability to drive, but for thoes of you who have smoked weed and dranked before not at the same time im sure you can agree that the booze dose a better job of distorting your your hand eye coordination. Maybe it is just me, but the booze is worse on me than the weed. I'm considering not drinknig anymore, but my wife don't want me to grow my weed what gives

HeeHee Par! I guess we are getting down to the nitty gritty of it now. You don't really like the effects of booze on you, so you are considering quitting. But, what to do? You need something to get you through the day and your WIFE is putting a damper on your vice of choice. You are asking what gives? Hmm. I think you know. Your wife is afraid that you will be busted for growing MJ and driving under the influence. Have you had a DUI or two? She loves you and doesn't want your little butt put in jail. Got any kids? Maybe she is concerned about them seeing you puttering around in your little garden? Hmmm. I think you need to ask her what gives my dear Par.;)
    kshif Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
    How is drinking beer or wisky justified when smoking pot is illeagal. Beer and liquior contributes to sooooo much destruction of the body, teens, auto accidents, families. Yet it is legal. Pot dosent impair your abilty to drive, or destroy your body like liquior yet it is illegal.
    Because smoking pot impairs judgement, de-motivates and can cause complications such as inability to spell. This leads to difficulty with employment and having all the wonderful things in life that make you happy. Illegal or not, isn't that reason enough to quit?

Apr 29, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Kshif booz does all the things that you noted for pot, yet I can go to a bar the DEA, FBI and ATF and their favorite drink is some beer.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 29, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Oddly enough I am doing some research on pot and driving for a different site and I found this

"Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents. A 2002 review of seven separate studies involving 7,934 drivers reported, “Crash culpability studies have failed to demonstrate that drivers with cannabinoids in the blood are significantly more likely than drug-free drivers to be culpable in road crashes.” This result is likely because subject under the influence of marijuana are aware of their impairment and compensate for it accordingly, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. This reaction is just the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication."
    Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence - NORML

--- Savage
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 29, 2007, 05:27 AM
    And
    According to The Family Council on Drug Awareness

"Driving: Cannabis has little effect on driving

Driving under the influence of any drug is generally discouraged, but studies have always indicated that marijuana (cannabis) has only a neglible effect on drivers who are experienced with its effects. The reason seems to be that, while there is a minor reduction in reaction times similar to being a few years older than the driver's current age, there is a sense of "paranoia" that leads to slower and more cautious driving. The most common effect is getting lost. "

And
    "Marijuana Has Less Adverse Effect on Driving Than Alcohol, Tiredness, U.K. Study Says

Crowthorne, Berkshire, United Kingdom: Marijuana appears to have less adverse impact on driving ability than does alcohol, according to findings from a recent study by the U.K.'s Transport Research Laboratory (TRL). The results replicate earlier findings recorded in the U.S., Australia and elsewhere indicating that marijuana intoxication plays a relatively insignificant role in vehicular accidents."

"Similar trials previously conducted by the TRL have shown that alcohol and sleep deprivation have a more adverse impact on driving ability than does marijuana. Tests from other countries have yielded comparable results. A May 1998 Australian review of 2,500 injured drivers reported that cannabis had "no significant effect" on driving culpability. A pair of studies released by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 1992 and 1993 found the adverse effects of marijuana on driving "relatively small," and concluded that "there [was] no compelling evidence that marijuana contributes substantially to traffic accidents or fatalities.""
    Cannabis and Driving

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help me to pass the road test [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time to writing someplace to get help. The problem I am having May be is not a big issue in your eyes, but please help me. I am trying to get A driving license. as millions of people are driving. I feel so embarrassed as I still don't have my license so I can drive freely...

Do enzymes pass ? [ 18 Answers ]

I was at the health food store today and saw a bottle of "systemic enzymes" The enzyme is Nattokinase does anyone here know if this passes trough your intestines to get into your blood stream. If I remember my biology enzymes do not pass trough your intestines Does this one pass into your blood?

How much time should pass when. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I sold our first home 3 years ago to a couple who are now claiming that there is faulty wiring in the basement. They refused an inspection when we closed, and now 3 years later say they want us to pay for the new wiring or they are going to take us to court. Can they legally do...

Replacing Large Pass Through Window [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a very large pass through window in my kitchen above my sink- the kind that slides open on both ends so that you can pass stuff through to someone on the patio (the house was built in 1972... ). The window spans 96 inches wide, and I can't recall how tall it is right now. I would...

Pass word [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I want to make a password for my PC, to prevent anyone use the computer during I'm not exciting,so can anyone help on this. Thanks

View more questions Search