Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunsetwalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2014, 06:33 PM
    Transformer keeps blowing when heat is selected on t-stat
    I can get A/C to come on normal but when I switch t-stat to heat it blows the transformer in about 3 or 4 minutes. This is a Goodman 3 ton air handler with a 10 k.w heat strip. This is a straight air unit and not a heat pump. I have checked all the wiring against wiring schematic and all wiring is correct. I also noticed the transformer is humming when you first put t-stat in heat position and then 3 to 4 minutes latter the transformer blows. The blower motor and the heat strips never come on before the transformer blows.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Transformer Keeps Blowing out [ 2 Answers ]

My home central AC system was not working and I tracked the problem to the transformer. I measured the voltage across the transformer and there was 120 volts on one side and 0 volts on the other which showed it was bad. So, I replaced the transformer and the AC started working. However, it only...

Heat does not come on when selected on thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I need some help here. When I select "cool" and "Auto" on my apartment themostat the AC workes fine , but when I select "Heat" and "Auto" nothing happens. Am I lookinfg at a thermostat issue or a bad relay switch for the heating element inside the unit (It is electric heat by the...

Keep blowing transformer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on an old york furnace and condenser I replace the contactor and it blew the original transformer so I got another one and put a fuse link fro 24 volt coming in and it still blew the transformer. >Moved from Forum Help<

Transformer keeps blowing. [ 3 Answers ]

I've had issues with my ac/heating for awhile and spent several thousand having various parts repaired/replaced including the evaporator coil, blower, circuit board, compressor and transformer. We also installed a new thermostat. I explained the problem to a building maint guy at work and he said...

Transformer keeps blowing [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a Ritetemp 8050C programmable thermostat for my (electric) central air/heating system. The heating unit inside my condo is a Texfan CV-X 18-6 hp model from Chinook Industries (I have not been able to find any info online about either company, and there is no manual for this unit). I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.