Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Davethinking Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2014, 02:53 AM
    Location of only bathroom in house
    I have a 3/4 cape cod house (1050 sq. feet)(1 1/2 stories) and am considering moving the current main floor bathroom to the second level, but its location would be at the front and center of the house. I would have to build a shed dormer to accommodate it, and it would still be only about 6 x7.

The current bathroom on the main level is about 5 x9.

It is not possible for it to be anywhere else on the second floor.

I am looking for opinions as to how bad an idea it is to have a bathroom front and center of a house, basically over top of the front door. Is this acceptable or a very bad idea?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 03:22 AM
    Why move and not adding 2nd ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 5, 2014, 04:12 AM
    2 thoughts:
    One is that the shed dormer might be really ugly from the outside. If you need to sell the house, it might be a tough sell.
    Second is the plumbing - where will it run? Is there a vestibule below, with side walls for pipes to run through? If not, they will have to go in exterior walls, a bad idea in northern climates.

If you do build it, how about a 3' x 2.5' shower stall instead of a 5' tub? That can reduce the room to a still comfortable 5' x 6'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3years old house problems with foundation moist walls in basement my location Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house 1 year ago the basement was not finished but it the walls where painted. After few month first block of the wall where the wall meet the floor, paint lifted and pealed. I went to home depot purchased the moisture reader and measure moisture on the walls and floor. The first...

Location of Bathroom fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a bathroom fan in an existing building. The ceiling is concrete so I can not put the fan there. It is easy to put it on the wall next to the ceiling over the tub/shower. I will install it so that it is GFI protected but am concerned that the fan may have to be a certain distance...

Odor in home, changes location, house even seems unlevel now [ 0 Answers ]

Our house has a smell that moves through the house (different rooms). It's several odors. It can be something like "human gas" to "stinky feet" to "dead rat" to "nasty fish". It will be awful on minute then a few minutes to hours later, it's gone. We notice it a lot at night (which is when we...

What is the best location in a house for the thermostat? [ 7 Answers ]

Background: Closing on a custom built home at the end of August. House Facts: Total Sq Ft = 3400 (1st Flr is about %60 and the 2nd flr is about %40) Air System: (2) Amana 14 Seer; 1 for the 1st flr & 1 for the 2nd flr. Each floor will have it's own Air/heat and it's own thermostat. My...

Bathroom Outlet Location [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a new bathroom. During the electrical rough-in I placed the outlets over the vanity at the same height as our other bathroom which gives me a height of about 7" from the vanity top. There will be double sinks in the new room and I have roughed for two outlets which...

View more questions Search