Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 08:04 PM
    What is needed for my hobby business
    HI THERE...

I want to start creating and selling my own nail polishes. I have figured out where to get all the supplies and how to fund my venture. But I do have a few questions::

1. I read that in OREGON this would be considered a "hobby business" and therefore won't need a business license. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. Do I need to copyright or trademark my business name/brand name? If so, how do I go about this?

3. How do I go about filing taxes on this sort of business?

4. Any other advice would be very welcomed.

Thank you all in advance.
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2014, 11:55 AM
    HELP!!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 9, 2014, 12:06 PM
    I started a car business and to be honest, internet was helpful but going to the local state and city offices and talking to them was where I got all the real answers I needed.

As for taxes, I have a federal EIN number and a state tax number as well as an accountant so I can't really help you with an answer to that.

I do bet though, if you go to the state and local offices and talk to them, they will give you more than enough information to help you out. I had received booklets and contacts, as well as offers for small business classes.

Good luck.

This should help you to get started. They were a big help to me in Pennsylvania.
    Portland District Office | SBA.gov
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 9, 2014, 02:35 PM
    You didn't like my response last year about painting nails as a business, but I'll answer this anyway: you may run afoul of the law if you sell a product applied to the body. With cosmetics, this might only happen if someone is allergic to your ingredients and sues.
    FDA Authority Over Cosmetics

If you go ahead,
    1. I don't think it's a hobby business. You aren't 'crafting' anything really. You are assembling/mixing a product, not building or sewing.
    2. No. Consider the name you choose a copyright by virtue of having documentation that you started it on a certain date.
    3. Taxes are easy. Save every receipt for next year and worry about it then. What you do need is a state sales tax number. Contact your state for that.

Of course ebay and etsey are havens of homemade products. I have sold thousands of dollars worth of my and other's things on ebay. Here is a nail polish maker on ebay:

LUCKY POT OF GOLD Shiny Gold Glitter Handmade Indie Top Coat Nail Polish Lacquer

Vision Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the information guys. I can't legally charge someone to paint nails without a license, joy. That was the thing. I have been told by multiple people that this would be considered a hobby business. I will just have to go down to the city and grab some paperwork. I'll go on Friday. Thanks for all your help guys.
    Vision Expert

Jan 13, 2014, 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the FDA link joy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dishwasher lights flashing: "Hi Temp" & "Heat Dry" [ 0 Answers ]

I've tried 3x now to run the dishwasher on Normal Wash mode, and it starts running correctly. When I come back to it later, however, the lights above Hi Temp & Heat Dry are blinking and the dishes are soaking wet. The keypad is still responsive and everything else seems to work. Does anyone know...

I did "Salt & Ice Challenge." My arm still itches & burns. I did it two days ago.. [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyway tell me why it still does. If and when is it going to stop. Doing this challenge was the stupiedest thing I have ever done so far.. I have a little red mark on my left arm & its red around my mark + I'm sort of getting a few little bumps like pimples but there not pimples, there from...

View more questions Search