Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madelyncbrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2014, 07:48 AM
    My healthy, happy 12 year old Jack Russell has started chewing on herself?
    About 18 months ago this chewing began and nothing has changed. We live a quiet life on the farm with 2 male friendly labs. Topsy is female and a house dog most of the time. She keeps her eye on me and is a loyal companion. The vets treated her for fleas although no fleas were found. It is a mystery. She is diligent in chewing night and day and can hardly relax. The hair is gone from her back side, Nothing we have applied or given her has helped. She is a wonderful, fit looking dog with a healthy appetite fed once a day in the am with Old Roy.
    Please help, Thanks in advance.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 08:04 AM
    You feed her Old Roy? I'm sorry, but that is garbage food and she is most likely having a reaction to that. It's really no different than feeding your child nothing than McDonald's. No nutritional value.

Change the food to a high quality chow and visit your vet for a proper diagnosis.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 12:17 PM
    Definitely change the food.
    Did your vet do a skin scrape to check for other parasites?
    What have you tried so far?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2014, 03:37 PM
    I have a JRT and she too has started chewing herself, wherever she can reach.
    I attribute it to old age (dry skin) + winter (dry skin) + boredom from not wanting to go out much. When I yell STOP she stops, for about an hour or so.
    I also bathe her more, maybe every 5 weeks instead of 10 weeks, because she gets smelly sooner, and her age I think means slower new skin replacement. I brush her too, something she avoided when younger but likes now.
    I give her a cooked egg about once a week and some olive oil on her kibble, and a few fresh veggies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 4 year old jack russell has suddenly refused walks [ 0 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 year old jack russell. He has always loved his walks, weusually go 2 or 3 times a day for a long walk. For the past week he has refused to go, I get him out of the door and he digs his heels in, I have tried everything to get him to walk. I took him to the vet last week, and...

My 3-year-old Jack Russell has started weeing in the house [ 1 Answers ]

For the last few days my 3yr old jack Russell has been weeing in the same spot in the house. He would usually whine to go out if he needs to. Everything else is normal he is eating OK, but he is drinking a bit more than usual. Also I am 6 months pregnant.

Our 1 and a half year old jack russell poos in the house [ 1 Answers ]

Our jack russell poos in the house every night when I leave her outside she jumps on the windows and howls I have to bring her back in because the neighbours, help what do I do?

Why does my 8 year old jack russell pee all over when I leave [ 1 Answers ]

My male JR, Henry, pees all over my house when anyone leaves. He is 8 years old and this has been going on for a year now. If I we leave a coat on the back of a dining room chair he will pee on it. If there is anything on the floor, he will pee on that. He pees on the legs of all tables and on...

My 12 year old female jack russell, is getting vicious and trying to bite me [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 year female jack russell, is beginning to get vicious with me and trying to bite when she does not get her way. She is very aggressive when I eat something and keeps trying to get the food anyway that she can. She thinks every time I eat I should share it with her. I have tried putting her...

View more questions Search