Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    THIRDHILTON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2014, 09:51 AM
    Coolant gurgling and bubbling and now temperature gauge flucuates, also smkes after s
    Recently (past few months) I noticed after my 35 minute commute to and from work that when I park and turn engine OFF I hear what sounds like gurgling/bubbling coming from radiator area. Car runs fine. No smoke and temp gauge normal.
    Today I got stopped on highway due to wreck. I sat there in 2 degree weather for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I began to smell coolant burning and then saw smoke coming from my right front wheel well (V6 Sebring 2.7L). I noticed the temperature gauge begin to climb to halfway mark... it wasn't registering HOT. I turned heat to high and it maintained at midway mark but continued to smoke (not horribly but enough to get my attention). Once traffic opened up and I began to drive the temp gauge needle dropped to barely above COLD but the smoking stopped.
    I recently had the oil changed where they tested my coolant and said it was "really good"... it was flushed and filled this past spring). I haven't noticed any coolant leaks and never before smelled it burning and never any smoke. Just the persistent gurgling sound after driving. HELP!
    Is it likely to be air in the system? I haven't checked the level because it was just done at last oil change and it was fine. I will check it today though. Could a thermostat cause this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 11:27 AM
    Could a thermostat cause this?
    Yes, or more likely a partially clogged radiator.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 11:39 AM
    Without checking it myself, I can only guide you on what could possibly cause this.

Low coolant from an air pocket
    Bad radiator
    Bad thermostat
    A leak somewhere
    Head gasket
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Corrosion or phosphate scale has likely blocked off passages in the radiator. If you end up replacing the radiator, refill it with 50/50 mixture of G-05 antifreeze and distilled water. Read your Owner's Manual on how to drain and refill the cooling system, in order to prevent air pockets from forming. Also, have a leak down test performed, to ensure the head gasket has not blown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 dodge intrepid-temperature gauge flucuates, and hissing sound [ 1 Answers ]

My temperature gauge fluctuates, and a hissing sound comes from near the coolant tank when car is hot, what could be the problem?

94 toyota camry tempature gauge shows hot coolant resivor bubbling [ 2 Answers ]

Gauge in the red, coolant resivor bubbling, and have already changed the thermostat

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

View more questions Search