Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prakashkumar11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2014, 08:07 PM
    How can my spouse can gain the tax exemption if I came to US on h4 visa on19/12/2013
    I came here on h4 visa on 19/12/2013 . How my spouse can gain the exemption please guide us

Regards
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 2, 2014, 07:36 AM
    When did yor spouse coe to the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 01:26 PM
    Actually, when he/she came does NOT matter.

A married couple can file jointly irrespective of where the spouse is located. He/she never has to set foot in the United States, and he/she can be on Mars for all the IRS cares.

However, the spouse's foreign income MUST be declared on the tax return, then accounted for with either the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or excluded using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Further, the spouse must get an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) by submitting Form W-7 with the tax return, AND must sign BOTH the Form W-7 and the tax return.

The best way to submit the Form W-7 and signed tax return is at an IRS Tax Assistance Center that accepts and authenticates foreign passports. The link below lists the cities that have such TACs:

Taxpayer Assistance Center Locations Where In-Person Document Verification is Provided
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 3, 2014, 02:41 PM
    Actually it would matter as the asker would be a non-resident alien and would not be able to be treated as resident alien/dual status alin based on the first year choice as the asker came in the middle of December. So they can only be treated as resident aliens of the spouse came before December 2013.
    On the side: The spouse is most likely in the US, as the asker has a H4 visa so I'm assuming the spouse is on H1
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2014, 06:15 PM
    I doubt that the H-1 or H-1B spouse came in mid-December, but if he did, TaxForAliens IS correct: First Year choice would NOT an option for 2013.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am on H1B VISA, my spouse on F1 VISA for 2011. How to file FICA Exemption? [ 4 Answers ]

How to claim exemption of FICA? Should we file jointly, if we do, how to claim FICA.

Spouse Tax exemption Dependent Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am resident for Tax purpose. I got married in India in May 2009 and my wife came here on dependent Visa (F2) in September 2009. Can I file exemption for her for Federal form 1040 for tax year 2009.

Spouse on G4 visa. Can I claim spouse exemption? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - My spouse is on a G4 visa with the UN, and hence does not have to pay income taxes. I understand I have to file as 'MARRIED FILING SEPERATELY'. I have tried to search this forum, but was unclear on two issues: 1. Do my wife have to file taxes and then claim the G4 exemption? If so,...

J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years. I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status. 1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years? 2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back...

Tax Exemption for L2A working spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am on L1A visa and my spouse is on L2 (dependent visa). Let's say I process her L2 work authorization and she starts working (which gets her issued SSN) and our individual status per Substantial presence test works out as Resident Alien. My queries are as below - Can I claim the same...

View more questions Search